2nd win7 install on separate hD need to access old emails

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by regal, Dec 19, 2010.

1. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I installed a new SSD and put a new paid for copy of Win7 home premium. On my old hard drive which is still connected I have a folder in outlook (97) that I would like to import to my new installation. When I try to navigate from users/application data, etc I get permission denied. I think I set this as a sevurity precaution at some point but don't rmember how/where. I don't want to import my whole inbox, just this folder with important emails.

Any ideas how I can get this folder imported into my new installation (also with office 97)

2. bAiLeY

bAiLeY MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    Hello m8, here`s what u need to do.....copy the following text, paste into notepad and save as Ownership.reg
    Run the saved file and let it add to registry. Now goto any folder that is protected and right click on it.
    You will see you now have an option in your right click menu to take ownership. Select it and let the process
    complete. Once done you will have full access to copy delete or whatever you want :)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

3. ambregu

ambregu MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2010
    If you were using IMAP or webmail, you would have less problem sync mail across multiple clients.