2x 200GB SATA-I Raid-0 v.s single 500GB SATA-II

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by moosh101, Nov 14, 2009.

1. moosh101

moosh101 MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Greetings everyone,

I recently upgraded my motherboard to one that supports SATA RAID, and have the opportunity to purchase 2 identical second-hand 200GB SATA-1 drives. I currently use a single 500GB SATA-2 drive and was wondering what would offer better performance with general Windows usage?

The 2x200GB drives are older drives that use SATA-1 and each have an 8MB cache, while my current drive is virtually new with a SATA-2 interface and a 32MB cache. Would I get any performance boost by using the two older SATA-1 drives in a RAID-0 configuration, or is the newer SATA-2 drive better than these older drives combined? All drives mentioned are 7200 rpm drives.

I sincerely appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Many thanks,

Shane.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. moosh101

moosh101 MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I think I will try it out using the 2x200GB drives in Raid-0 and use the 500GB drive for storage. This way I can be assured that my files are stored on an independent drive in case anything goes wrong the the array. I will also use the older Intel drivers as well.

Many thanks for your advice,

Shane.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...