2x SSD (system || games/programs) vs 1x SSD (all in one)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ryanlipafan, Jan 19, 2023.

1. ryanlipafan

ryanlipafan MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2015
    Hi :)

I'm slowly putting together a new PC and am considering two concepts.

1. mounting an M2 256GB SSD for the SYSTEM (and basic browser installations, malwarebytes [because I use next to defender - should I?] etc.), and a second M2 1TB drive for GAMES and PROGRAMS

2. mounting one M2 1TB drive for everything, with possible partitioning (I don't like clutter and installing programs and games in those ProgramFiles directories ;) and I prefer to have a separate partition for SYSTEM and GAMES/SOFTWARE, nevertheless everything would be on one drive).

Which option is preferable in terms of a certain ergonomics of work, sensibility in general?

I'm thinking that the SYSTEM drive would quietly do its job with loading the system, working "in the background", and the other drive would work separately with games and programs. Is this a good concept? When I play games, the M2 drive will probably heat up, so would such a separation give me the peace of mind that performance won't be affected if I had one drive doing everything at once?

I'd like to mention that the computer will be used for office work, simple graphics processing (simple!), creating music and, above all, for gaming.

Currently, I have a "classic" SSD for the system and another SSD for games and programmes. It is ok, the two drives do their job separately. Or is it just my illusion? :)

P.S. I would use the Lexac NM620 for the SYSTEM drive and the Kingston KC3000 for the GAMES AND PROGRAMS drive.

Additional question: is it worth investing in a PCIe 4.0 drive or can I safely stay with 3.0 if I do not work on large files (do not renederate movies, etc.). :)

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Actually, you have pretty much the right points of thinking, except that you want to put the games on the NVMe m.2 and the system on a regular SSD.
    I would do the opposite.
    If the system is properly tuned, you won't have anything heating up and slowing down because of it also.
    And of course it makes more sense to use PCIe 4.0, PCIe 3.0 is already history today.
    P.S. I personally use PCIe 4.0 more than a year and everything is OK.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...