[4Fun:] Do we really need W10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by moderate, Nov 11, 2014.

1. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    ​Ding ding, we have a winner! This whole problem is because they want to take over the tablet/phone market and they're willing to tank their desktop OS market to do it.

2. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
  3. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    You would think that MS would have the skills to block based on hash or something other than just simple file name. They should be a tad bit embarrassed, if that is the case. :biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    If not for Classic Shell (or some similar program) I would still be happily running Windows 7. Classic Shell and what it changes (or can change) sets the tone for desktop use while the modern ui sets the tone for playing with phones. :D

5. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #45 moderate, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    (OP)
    I didn't await SO MANY (thanks) responses to my question in post #1.

It was inspired by my friend, who works as system administrator in the small IT company (about 80PCs). In the past he installed/updated OS about each 4-6 years (like from Windows XP to Windows Vista).
    The point is now he does it each year, because company management ALWAYS buys new licenses.
    And there aren't only client PCs, there are two Windows Servers too and many other things needs to be updated as well (like SDK, ADK, etc.) Not to mention, that for example W8-0 Enterprise doesn't update to W8-1x Enterprise so easily.

So the question was actually, if you find such short cycle reasonable.

There are many other side effects. For example MS plans (in W10 RTM) to raise kernel version (from W8-1-1's 6.3...) to 10.0. The system will be almost same (those IT guys really don't care if StartUp Menu is whole Screen or not) BUT many special apps will scream, when MAJOR version number will raise from 6 to 10. Why those MS guys do that? I don't get it.

Another issue is, that new Windows with every new release is more and more produced for dummies not for geeks. Now when I want to run something more advanced, I need to right-click and select "Run as Admin", otherwise the app will tell me, that I don't have rights to use my PC. Windows 2000 start up bar wasn't just stupid animation rolling around over and over like in WXP, even more... there (in W2k) were hidden options to trace every single step of boot up (with system messages). Now when W8-1-1 installs, there aren't ANY useful prompts, but stupid slogan "We need to take care about few more things." while background changes from purple to pink. When installation hangs, nobody is able to do anything. What are those "things"? What is "few more"? What is "need to take care"? Who the hell are "We"? etc. etc.

How do you like that? (...trend.)

6. deathero

deathero MDL Junior Member

Oct 26, 2012
    as someone who is going to school for IT and has been in the field, most IT guys are worried about the programs they use will work on the next version of windows and if its stable enough to upgrade to a whole new OS. most of the IT guys i know are sticking with windows 7 until support runs out. simple as this if M$ still has the idea of changing windows to a tablet/ touchscreen OS then most IT guys will stay away from it. hopefully when windows 10 hits RTM sooner or later i hope that its more suited toward being used a OS for desktops and not some piece of s***t OS nobody can even use.

7. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    #47 sevenacids, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
    Raising the kernel version to 10.0 won't be an issue in many cases as every application that doesn't have a manifest embedded that declares it supports Windows 10 will see the 10.0 version number. If there is no manifest embedded, they will recognize the system as being Windows 8. I already explained that in another thread here.

I agree with you that "we need to take care about few more things" is not the best phrasing and I hate that too, but the question is: how helpful are more advanced screens to the general user nowadays? I mean, for example, how many people actually understand what all these hex numbers on the classic BSOD mean? You need a certain amount of knowledge and experience in kernel debugging to get a clue what went wrong. Sure, there are "simple" errors from which one with a little understanding can tell what went wrong when a driver fails, like the famous IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or similar kernel panic. But there are other faults you can't decrypt that easy just from that screen. Given that most people, including most IT admin staff, aren't able to read that information anyway, they dropped it. Plus, configuration of Windows might be so fast on today's PCs that printing individual messages about what is being done at the moment would flash so fast over the screen that you couldn't read them anyways. If something goes wrong during setup, you can always review the log files... and those already got thousands of lines in them. Do you really like to see all that kind of information on the screen?

I hate the "we" phrasing. Your PC is a machine, not a person with a multiple personality disorder (though it doesn't run on a single-threaded OS anymore :D). What about simple, more professional phrases like "Please be patient while Windows is being set up", with sub-messages like "Configuring drivers... user account... etc etc blala".

8. mitsos

mitsos MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2012
    #48 mitsos, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    Do we really need W10? Every person has different needs, private or for bussiness.
    Is every new windows version a progress? Ofcourse it is. Every single one.
    But like everything new, users must get familiar with it, discover his new possibilities.
    When you get used with windows 8.1, working with older windows versions seems like driving back your old car. Familiar but uit of time.

BTW, with 8.1, no more lags, no more blue screens, almost every hardware is plug and play and all older programs work in normal or compability mode.
    Working with more monitors is setted up with few clicks, there are integrated functions which for older windows versions was needed external application,
    with few words, all smooth and stable.
    What else you might need from an OS? Why should you stick to an older version of windows?
    No money to buy new one? ok... there are also other solutions, plenty of them in this great forum...

Ofcourse M$ has profit goals, and, really, why not? Who wants to work for nothing nowdays?

People, from nature are not easily satisfied. They want stil something new, something more.
    That's why we have progress in life. Technology... Otherway, we would stil living in caves and eating from trees and hunting.
    Some people have difficulties with new things, do not like changes, but.... show must go on... life must go on....

9. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #49 Skaendo, Dec 1, 2014
    Just as I've told others on the MS community forums, Windows 10(TP) is nothing more than Windows 8.1.
    Don't believe me? Point your Windows 10TP browser to:
    windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/which-operating-system
    Therefore Windows 10TP is nothing more than Windows 8.2.
    I don't think we need a 'new' Windows OS as they are pumping these USED pieces of crap out.
    If all they were going to do is copy Windows 8.1 and repolish it, they should have started with a better version.
    IMO Windows 7 would have been a better place to start, instead of trying to polish a proven turd.

Just my opinion!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    they have been polishing the turd since the first windows iteration. All windows from 0.0001 to 10 have some code based from the first, in them to keep them all related like a bunch of umm well strange family members :eek::D

11. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Sure, but do you polish the brightest, best son of the parent OS, or do you polish his mentally disabled half-brother?

12. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    It seems to keep things fair, they have polished one and then another. Wouldn't want to leave out the half brother OR the brightest now would they? That wouldn't be the kin like thing to do

13. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #53 Skaendo, Dec 1, 2014
    SO, the mentally challenged half-brother gets polished not once but twice while the last great desktop OS gets pushed aside for the sake of becoming a 'hybrid' or GMO OS?

I personally think that they should have continued to make 2 seperate OSs'; desktop & mobile. Thereby polishing both the brothers at the same time. This might have saved MS a bunch of money by not losing sales on Windows 8/8.1 on desktops.

*Possibly making 3 OSs'; desktop, hybrid, mobile.

Because I cant think of one instance that it would be a good idea to have a mobile platform on a desktop that can out perfom a mobile 100 fold.

14. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    The 'Windows iteration' eulogy is funny and it's not so much different from what other software giants are doing. We don't expect Microsoft not to jump off the deep end with reinventing the wheel, because this is a famous operating system we are talking about not some applications and do otherwise to its own demise.

15. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014

is all about making tons of ca$$H rolling out garbage hope fully 10 will not stink as much;)

16. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    If they are worried about cash, why do they continue to polish turds and expect people to like it?

*Just because it doesn't stink as much doesn't make it any less of a turd.*

They apparently havent learned yet that the masses didn't like Windows 8, and it wasn't just the loss/replacement of the start menu. Most the people that I know and work with flat out hated Windows 8/8.1 and its features like metro and the ribbon. It is the only version that I hated. I don't think they can polish that one enough for me to like it!

17. Ith

Ith MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Windows 10 TP is m1 build (very early build to be detected as a new os).
    windows 8.1 is definitely better place to start because win8.1 failed only in UX else it is a robust os. ;)

18. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014

well in MS defense for what i seen so far in the tech preview, i have to say version 10 mite be the best OS by far.....now lets wait until the final product is out so we do the complete test drive, but for what i see so far i can live with it....it looks like MS coders are trying this time to emulate mac OS a bit more. dont forget Steve Jobs does live on in windows some of hes code still in their some were.

19. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    I have to say that it is very fast (right now, with it's very flat look, and I expect it to slow down some once it is released).
    That is all that I've noticed in difference to 8.1
    And you must be refering to how Windows has stolen the DE since Windows 2.

20. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    As long as people are buying new OSs , they, in a way, need them. M$ is still making lots of money !

Windows 10 is really nothing to discuss.A great failure , but something to amuse KIDS.;)