7Loader 1.6 working great, should I update to Daz 1.9.7 Loader?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mondoguitar, Mar 6, 2011.

1. mondoguitar

mondoguitar MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2011
    I've been using 7Loader v1.6 since it was released without incident. I've been reading through these forums casually and am thankful I've gone without incident.

I'm just wondering if it would serve any useful purpose in upgrading my SLIC Loader to 1.9.7? If so, I'm assuming 1.9.7 would remove the loader that 1.6 installed?

Just going by the old motto, "if it's not broke, don't fix it". But at the same time, I like to keep things up to date (if there's reason to) :)

Thanks!

2. mondoguitar

mondoguitar MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2011
    ...and sorry if posted in wrong section, it seemed appropriate. I've moderated some other forums, so not looking to create more work for mods. I've been browsing anonymously up until now, this was my first need to post anything. Very good site.

3. mondoguitar

mondoguitar MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2011
    #3 mondoguitar, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
    (OP)
    I just read Daz's Common Questions and Answers thread. I guess I'll leave it be for now if there's no pressing need to update, however that post was from 2 years ago.

4. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Personaly i would uninstall that loader and install Daz's... :)

5. mondoguitar

mondoguitar MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2011
    I actually just did that on my desktop, it required a restart after re-installing. However I did it on a Toshiba laptop, and it did NOT require a restart after re-loading. Not sure why that would be. But both are activated and working.... thanks.

I just read so many bug fixes and updates from 1.6 to 1.9.7 that I thought it would be worthwhile.

6. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Just so you're aware of what the advantages are over the older version:
    • It's faster
    • It's encrypted and unique per user
    • It can be configured
    • It supports more systems
    • It works better with hibernation and sleep

If your systems got an existing SLIC in it's BIOS then the loader will only install the required certificate and serial. Upon failure to activate it will install the loader which is when it will ask you to reboot your system so that a SLIC can be injected :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. mondoguitar

mondoguitar MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2011
    Yeah the toshiba laptop had the first two boxes filled with Toshiba and the 3rd box I left as Acer. No reboot required on it. Hopefully no problems. Thanks man.

8. mondoguitar

mondoguitar MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2011
    And what was weird with the Toshiba laptop is that one day I booted it up and the red GRUB screen appeared. I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and it's never appeared since. That was 3 days ago with 1.6