8.1 phone activation and question about changing keys

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by DoTheEvolution, Oct 20, 2013.

1. ricardofac

ricardofac MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2011
    What, the WMC key overwrite the Windows key, is that it? =O

2. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    And for today guys I'll copy and paste from a certain reliable source called Microsoft.!

3. TECHNOMAN

TECHNOMAN MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2009
    But I thought the only way to activate a free Wmc key is by phone activation-Skype

Say you have a genuine Windows 8 Pro Key & a genuine WMC Key & you want to do a clean install & you have the win8.1 iso
    You do the steps below

1.Do a clean install of win8.1 using a win 8.1 installation key
    2.Once installation is complete re-boot system will not be activate
    3.Run command prompt & change key to your genuine win8 key
    4.Re-boot check activation system should be activated
    5.Go to add features input your free WMC key the system checks the key & install the new features re-boot
    6.Now you find the system is no longer activate(IS THIS CORRECT)
    7.Use Skype to contact Microsoft to do the phone activation method

As I assume maybe wrongly that this was the only way to activate a free WMC key
    say the user as no backup of their windows 8 activation no data or tokens

Tell me if its wrong & how it can be done because from what I`ve read a Genuine Free WMC does not auto activated like a Genuine Windows 8 upgrade/retail key

If I`m Wrong Please Explain
    Thanks

4. cornandbeans

cornandbeans MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    Just curious - have anyone got their PCs deactivated and MS account terminated after the keys they used have been blacklisted? I'm not worried since this is not related to me, but I haven't heard about it at all.

Also can someone explain why activation is only working over phone but not internet?

5. remco8264

remco8264 MDL Junior Member

Mar 10, 2013
    I've been able to activate my WMC key (given for free during the promotional period) a few days ago. I did a clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro, added WMC via the Add features option, and my WMC key activated itself online normally.

6. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Officially I do not advise using such a method as skyping in a key that has been blocked is a surefire method for your activation to be revoked at some point down the road.

You are not wrong but its not the best approach to use when going down that road.

7. looneylv

looneylv MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2012
    Well sorry but some of you are telling A LOT OF BULLL...

I've been using w8 'offline activisation' since w8 came out.. got a key just simple searching in google(took me about 1min), typed in, called the bot and got my installationID, typed it in... and since then my laptop is on 'legal' w8... ;) two laptops has been activated the same and no probs at all!

On desktop PC I have Office 2013 'activated' THE SAME METHOD and no probs at all! ( soon will be installing 8.1 on my machine WITH THE SAME METHOD i guess cuz there are no better solution for w8 - KMS is a waste of time that only eats some of you mem and drills some security holes <- its like be sitting on 'cracked' antivirus... ;) )

Installing all the updates and everything!

8. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    In my case after I had activated 8.1 i added wmc feature with generic WMC key as you said after reboot system not activated
    Then I installed my WMC key with slmgr -ipk
    My system activated instantly without the need for Skype activation