8.1 preferred over 10 in 2018?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Katsuobushi, Aug 10, 2018.

?

8.1 preferred over 10 in 2018?

Poll closed Aug 11, 2018.
  1. 8(.1)

55.6%
  2. 10

44.4%
  1. erpsterm35

erpsterm35 MDL Expert

May 27, 2013
    Win8.1 came pre-installed on my father's Toshiba Satellite C55Dt touchscreen laptop made in mid-2013 and even with the latest cumulative updates for 8.1, it's still stable. Can't quite say the same thing with Win10 since some of the recent cumulative updates for different releases of Win10 have caused some problems

2. RideTheLightning

RideTheLightning MDL Member

Sep 20, 2018
    I think the reason why people having problems with Windows 10 are related to updating to much and to frequently.
    If you stay on a specific build and update sporadically you'll see that Windows 10 can be quite a stable OS in the end.

Once Enterprise LTSC 1809 drops I'm going to stay on it for quite a while, updating it every 6 months or so with CUs like I always have done.

3. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    While everyone has their own personal favourite, I personally hate Win 10. It's unstable piece of crap that tries to fix itself so very often. I think of it as a beta software because of forced updates and telemetry. It not only eliminates my freedom but also takes control away where ever possible.

With Win 10 Microsoft is moving in the direction of Google Android. They got away with murder yeah not allowing Admin rights to the system, for me is equavalent to a cold blooded murder. That's beyond insane. The marketshare agrees with it. Win 10 is the most unsuccessful piece of garbage Microsoft ever imagined (yet)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @ ceo54 yep I agree in part when related to beta softwfare, eternal updates of course!!! who in this world can tell something that Windows 10 is stable?? NEVER... at least W10 LTSB is usable and same so is necessary some knowledge to achieve one Build more clean disabling things ( as several services, task manager, GPO, Windows Firewall with advanced security) here and there, making a lot of tweaks inside Registry, for a simple user I'm sorry... ahh I remember times of Windows XP and Windows 7 simply fantastisc OS's I know that have also some issues is natural I think but M$FT always fix fast so the entire world was very happy but I'm sure of a very strange thing with o failure of Windows 8 For some reason maybe the growth of Android and the like for me the M $ FT simply lost completely the excellent direction that followed since the Times of Windows XP... and with the advent of Windows 10 simply there is no longer an operating system that you go to a Shop buys the media, installs and only waits for the fixes that every operating system has after its launch and yet they are always asking for comments to "improve/optimize the systems" only that I have not yet seen some suggestion of common sense and has many by This vast world only that they do not accept or implement what can only be joke; On the other hand I have another visa: the M $ FT is acting so maybe to avoid fakes or things of the genre and finally on Windows 10 it really and it is notorious that there have been great developments but it does not justify to me those nonsense that everyone knows yet to UWP for me are limited (the M $ FT says they are safer... so I ask show me some developer who managed to make heavy games using UWP...) Who knows with the advent of Windows 10 Lean things can begin to change what for me would be the ideal For example: I have a powerful machine and need heavy applications eg: Photoshop, AutoDesk, Blender etc etc. so I would request clear a more complete system version This is that support my heavy workload done this I would pay with Pleasure as it was but see well I could opt for what I want and what I do not want in the ISO, MCT, UUP, ESD the anything they can invent by concluding the way the thing goes for me this "story of 2 builds per year No one can stand or they think the We do not work for some company, government school etc. or that we only have times to stay testing Windows 10 ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    8.1 :thumbsup: Take out the store and apps and you got close to ltsb without all the rubbish.

I am puzzled why more people dont try it before going to ltsb :dunno:

Works on Coffee Lake B360 with the added bonus that windows update refuses to work on unsupported hardware. :biggrin5:

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    :rolleyes:

7. adrian2055

adrian2055 MDL Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I'd prefer a typewriter over windows 10. I currently use a modified version of windows 8.1 pro with the useless apps removed and it's stable enough for me at the moment. I still prefer the operating systems before 8.1, but 8.1 is better than 10. 10 is like a troubled child on crack that also has down syndrome. Just a complete mess!

8. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @ adrian2055 yep I agree 1000%, you make my day :D:good3:

9. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015

Excellent comment.

10. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    #30 ForrestGump, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Tha's what you say but i don't believe that, i am really convinced that this os was created to collect all the maximum amount of information from people which they will use against you when the moment arrives and you will be sure they will knock at your door that day.
    You never ask yourself why they do everything they could to encourage people installing windows 10, they absolutely want win10 to be installed in the largest number of machines so they can spy on you as much as they want, that's the reason why MS inform poeple that they will stop sending updates to win7 on 2020 so they immediately go to install their dump os. That's what i deeply believe.

11. I prefer 8.1 simply because it's faster and doesn't need telemetry/misc tweaks AFAIK to work well, unlike 10.

12. oyya

oyya MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2018
    If i'm correct, win8.1 also contains telemetry updates as well as win7.

13. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Huih, that is so wrong buddy :cool2:. Like in Win 7 the telemetry is implemented by WU and some updates are constantly re-issued (the nice KB..._vXX). That even needs more hoops to avoid them in those systems than configuring my GPO and re-routing needed IPs on my LTSC.

14. Ain't an expert about it, but I always disable updates so ... (except one to download android bootloader interface but it's unrelated)

The best would be to migrate on Linux to avoid as much telemetry as possible though

15. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Then don't use Ubuntu :D.

Disabling updates is the worst at all. I get it with feature updates, i use LTSC for that reason, but Cumulative and Security Fixes are quite important for an oflline system.

First rule: KEEP YOUR OS BASE UPDATED! That applies for any OS that is online. Else you only offer easy attack vectors and no common sense or AV will help.

16. I'm reusing Arch on my laptop, i'd never use Ubuntu or Mint because of their defaults.
    I'd use LTSC but i'd need to tweak it to remove xbox stuff and so on

17. oyya

oyya MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2018
    Seriously???? that's the worst thing someone can do.
    By doing that, you take the risk of getting serious infections by using your tools as WU allows to get permanent securty updates for all your applications.

18. oyya

oyya MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2018
    +1000000

19. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    8.1 is garbage. go 10. they will have 20 soon.

20. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    @abbodi1406 has a w10 telemetry block script for w7 and 8.1. :)