8.1 RTM.. worth sticking with?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pbassjunk, Sep 17, 2013.

?

Just wondering what windows version everyone is going with?

Poll closed Sep 22, 2013.
  1. 8.1

66.0%
  2. 8.0

9.8%
  3. 7

24.2%
  1. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I wonder - do I really have to accept the Upgrade to 8.1.
    1. SmartScreen and click check set this site ( M$ ) to phishing
    2. same page and set to BLOCKED Site (unsafe) Internet Options -> Security -> Restricted Sites.
    3. set Firewall to block M$ site
    4. Turn off Auto upgrade, and set to only tell me( never has worked if M$ really wanted to push a upgrade) but worth trying.

5. Last fine - Guaranteed 100% to work... Turn off Internet ;) j/k

3. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    I like 8.1 pro but put the Media center add on and all go to Sh-t Xbox 360 won't play mkv files Cablecard tuner lags changing channels it just A WREAK

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. NomadMK15c

NomadMK15c MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2013
    +100 After several months of use, I can honestly say that Windows 8 is crap.

5. Cal-123

Cal-123 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2011
    No matter what M$ changes with 8.1 it matters little. Few say it is an upgrade, but I say "Upgrade to what...". For a few drivers? Can we no longer find a damn thing by ourselves? I am amazed by the lemming's mentality of quite a few of this gathering of, I would say, very progressive thinking borderline geniuses boarding this M$ train of code over a cliff - cause that is where it is going. M$ has best come out early with Windows 9 or lose a mass of Desktop users to Linux, or rooted in Windows 7. Please, someone tell me *why* I should want to run a system that *I* must modify to make it useful...that is unless I'm a noob than only knows how to tap on icons? :confused:

6. Dresan

Dresan MDL Junior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Anyway we look at it, MS doesn´t inspire confidence with new OS upgrades, many of us are in a double boot scheme anyway, thinking that the new upgrades are not flawless. Seven continuous to be the must trustworthy, 8 and 8.1 are still been tested by the users, and we are already thinking about 9. Seems we shall double boot forever!. o_O

7. sean70

sean70 MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2011
    I like Windows 8 to be honest , I dont use Metro that much and to me the OS is a tool to do what I need to do .I think most of the aesthetic changes in 8.1 have been done just for the sake of it. That's not necessarily a bad thing as I wouldn't want the look of XP back , let alone the security issues that comes with it.

I'm all for progress and innovation, I'm actually glad they are cutting down the shelf life for support on products. What's everyone expecting "XP" style support on every single OS ?

The internet never ceases to amaze me with the loyalty associated with products, Microsoft v Apple threads are epic and amuse me endlessly. XP v 7 threads on various forums cracked me up at the time as well. I just cant work out why people get so attached to a brand and will defend them without question. These companies really don't care about you and your just a source of income for them. Sure ,if you're heavily invested in them that's a different story :p

8. daw3ambu

daw3ambu MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    To me windows 8.1 feels slower than 8. Also i went back to Windows 7 when i realised that my modem could not reconnect automatically in both windows 8 and 8.1 . al return to windows 8 when that issue is sorted out

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    maybe check with your manufacturer for new driver/software. You are not the only one btw. A few others I've read cannot use USB modems. Only certain "Windows 8 compatible" modems seem to be working well.

10. Cal-123

Cal-123 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2011
    Change is hard for us old farts on the 'net! But changing to something that is not really all that much better from the previous...now *that* is asking a wee bit too much - and especially when the new needs to be modified back, for ease of use, to the old. *That* is progress?

11. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    It doesn't need to be modded back. Learn to do things with keyboard shortcuts and stuff. The only thing that needs to progress is you.

12. moderator

moderator MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013
    unpin from start :tea:

13. cornandbeans

cornandbeans MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    #95 cornandbeans, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    Why not? I've been using it on VM for a while and I like the metro design. I installed it on computers of my 2 family members' who are not techy, and they think it's faster than 7 (probably because 8 is better optimized for lower-end hardware?)
    I installed it yesterday on my new 3TB hard disk and it boots really fast.
    Of course 7 is one of the best OSes, but I like to try new stuff out and there is nothing wrong with 8 (imo), so I'm sticking with it.
    you know, the only OS I can't stand is ME. Many people hate Vista, but I think it's more the OEMs' and the manufacturers' faults...Windows 8 isn't even as bad as them like some people claim.

14. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    I'm using Windows 8 since it went RTM. Also installed it on an old P4 prescott and it runs great.
    There were a few glitches at start, but at this moment I've got absolutely no problem with Windows 8 and will keep using it.
    Some of my friends are starting to use Metro and no, it is not about "W8 sucks" it's about learning how to do things different and faster.
    I've been around since DOS 6.22 and my first upgrade was Windows 3.1, for me Windows 8 has been the best MS OS ever.
    So upgrading to W8.1 is a no-brainer for me.

Cheers.

15. eddy64

eddy64 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2013
    i just use windows 8 with classic shell, works fine that way not too much adjustment needed.