A “real” user proves Windows 8 fails on the desktop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Weedy, Mar 12, 2012.

1. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Move along folks, nothing to see here...move along! :biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jassi

jassi MDL Junior Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Windows 8 is good only if the crap(metro) is removed. MS should make another OS for tablets rather than creating a mess of windows.When Linux can give so many variety of desktops(LXDE, KDE.....) to work with, why cant MS provide two different varietes for tablets and desktops. Maybe some people at MS think both tablet and desktop is same:D

3. scarecrowlantern

scarecrowlantern MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2011
    I haven't taken Chris Pirillo seriously ever since he said that the two-finger thing on a Macbook trackpad was more intuitive than right-clicking. o_O

4. Cego

Cego MDL Junior Member

Nov 24, 2009
    if Microsoft removes Metro from Windows 8, you can see a SO called Windows 7. if you dont like Windows 8, stay on Windows 7 and end! I'm sure, whether Canonical was who make changes like Microsoft has done, you wouldn't complain in this way!

if you dont want to Windows 8 on PC, buy a tablet and install it! that's it! you choose what SO you wanna install, what software install and where install them!!! Accept the change once and for all!

to me, It's a good chance to "evolve" like Developer... Microsoft give us other focus about how you must see a SO.

again, please people, if you dont like Windows 8, stay on Windows 7... for me, It's way-out. and I'm not Microsoft fan.

regards!

5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    This is a major problem. Open photos, docs, etc from metro or wherever, and there is no close or cross button. I had to do ctrl+alt+del, go to task manager, and close the thing. Could not care less for now, if the solution above is the key. As long as there is no alternative or many kinks are sorted, it is win 7 for me. Good thing about win 8 beta is the support for newer GPUs, USB 3.0, and wifi. Plus the better font system on display. That will keep me interested in RC and RTM. But for now, I think it is now bye bye consumer preview.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
    This is so funny. I've (sadly) been around for long enough to see the progression:

I hate Windows! I'm staying with MS-DOS!
    I hate Windows 95! I'm staying with Windows 3.11!
    I hate Windows 2000! I'm staying with 98!
    I hate XP! I'm staying with 2000!
    I hate Vista/7! I'm staying with XP!

The only difference is that now people try a beta/unfinished version before declaring their hatred! Beats doing it blind like people did in the 95 days, I suppose...

EDIT: 'Windows 200'? Oops. :)

7. Mazrim Taim

Mazrim Taim MDL Member

Feb 23, 2012

All you see are complaints?

Just go to any forum or blog where Win8 is discussed, and read the comments. At least half of those basically say the same. Win8 will be great on tablets, but Metro UI is a productivity killer on a desktop PC.

We all have the right to give our opinion about the new OS. Your opinion is worth nothing more and nothing less than someone else's opinion.

And you're right. People who don't like 8, simply shouldn't buy it. Precisely what I'm going to do if the final product does not allow for Metro UI to be completely switched off (or not even be installed) on a desktop PC and a laptop.

Microsoft does not care much about critisism. They do not care much about our comments. But they do respond well to revenue and market share. If so many people dislike 8 in its current state, than those figures will eventually tell MS that they have failed. :p

Perhaps they should just listen to all the complaints on the internet and change things while they still can.

8. Misaki2010

Misaki2010 MDL Addicted

Jul 14, 2009
    I'm pretty much sure that Microsoft won't remove the MetroUI from Windows 8, so this criticizing is useless... why talking about it here and not reporting the feedback directly to Microsoft, it's not like Steven Sinofsky is reading this topic... or someone else from Microsoft. Anyway... this product is a BETA, is not intended to be used by inexperienced users and it may not include complete HELP features or as I read on the page 2, the Getting Started feature. Software to bring back the old Start Menu has been released (from Stardock) and this could make some of your problems about Windows 8 go away... I really like the start panel, I'm not using a tablet or a touch PC. I have a desktop, with a keyboard and a wireless mouse, everything works perfectly (through some apps still need scroll feature to make them easy to explore).

9. prayaas1998

prayaas1998 MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2011
    So you mean I'm a 'virtual' user!? :p

10. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Yes, it is a Beta, but it is a Consumer Preview. Any consumer, experienced or not, can try it. Windows 8 will most likely be sold only to consumers. What you don't get that there are many power users and corporations that will skip this version of Windows. I wonder if it even will surpass the sales of Windows XP or Windows 7 in the first quarter after release.
    You don't have to be a psychic to see what is coming, namely a mass downgrade back to Windows 7.

Also you might wonder why oh why is there a reference in Windows 8 to Alternate Shells? Maybe they are not sure either that this Metro will work on the market for desktops and laptops.

11. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Yet, when it is released you will be forced to use it when you buy a new system (desktop/laptop). Hence a mass downgrade will come.

12. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Why don't remain in Windows 7?
    Because 8 has a lot of performance improvements and very useful features,that makes him the best as ever more than win7....
    What makes him a piece of crap?
    Metro interface, not for all consumers, completely forbidden for companies(metro crap and start orb removed brings down productivity...)
    Can be choosen at installation metro interface and 7(redesigned new interface)?
    Right, big success, 8 is far more faster than 7!!

Big flop if it remain as it is, tablet market it is not so big, even a fight with Android(not Bad) and Apple(not like at all, but really better interface than 8)

Not complaints, just feedbacks and personal opinion.......

BTW i leaved my feedback on msdn blog so.....

The general opinion is not going good so far, and for general i mean a big part of blogs round the web full of well known Windows users...
    Mine opinion does not have power, yup, but let we see what market will say.....

my 2 cents:
    For desktops and notebooks, MS will release a 8 version(better called 7 SP2 or 3)
    For tablets and touch interfaces windows 8 released as it is

nice goin'

13. firemex

firemex MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2011
    This is exactly what happened to me. I installed windows 8 on an old IBM T42 (64mb card so aero does not works of course) and does not have the windows key.. what a pain in the a** was for me to figure out how to get out of a metro application without using task manager to close it, per example solitarie game. BTW on windows 7 the T42 worked excellent with the soitarie game it has, but with the new graphic enhanced solitarie that comes with windows 8 you can't play a thing, it gets stuck while regular applications like explorer excel powerpoint word work without hesitation.

They really need to fix some things there...

14. Mobocratic Asylum

Mobocratic Asylum MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    #35 Mobocratic Asylum, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
    It'd be nice if W8 can identify which hardware (PC or tablet) to install Metro UI during W8 installation instead of mouth-foaming post-installation headaches followed by scattered LCD monitors.

15. Windows Fan

Windows Fan MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2012
    lol. funny video but i also think that windows 8 will need some expertise to operate. Microsoft should add some visual clues like click here to start, etc in RTM version.

16. suddo30

suddo30 MDL Novice

May 1, 2011
    its all like mac advertisement

17. El_Heffe

El_Heffe MDL Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Yes it is Beta. But this piece of crap has been in development for a long time. Microsoft may make a few tweaks but they aren't going to make any big changes to the User Interface of Windows 8.

18. oshrizak

oshrizak MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2009
    lol this is hilarious, Funny thing is. I will not be running 8 as my main OS. Only way I will do so is if i stripped down the OS and removed certain aspects of M$'s stupidity :biggrin:

19. Cleric

Cleric MDL Member

Aug 14, 2009
    as the old guy in 1st video says "this is not the final" so we cant decide. But, after trying "win 8 cp" i can say the main idea of windows 8 is SUCK.. so until microsoft fixing this idea i prefer windows 7 sp1 "the great OS ever".