A “real” user proves Windows 8 fails on the desktop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Weedy, Mar 12, 2012.

1. behemoth

behemoth MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2011
    Don't understand what's wrong with Metro and start button. I totally support MS on these ways. :yes:

2. Weedy

Weedy MDL Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Not when it comes pre-installed. 90% of people wouldn't even know you can change it down to windows 7, let alone would they pay for it.

3. Mazrim Taim

Mazrim Taim MDL Member

Feb 23, 2012

What I meant to say was that if Microsoft decides Metro UI is the future, there is nothing anyone can do to stop them. People buying a new PC later this year will most likely find Windows 8 preinstalled. Buying a PC from any large manufacturer/retailer without a copy of Windows pre-installed is difficult. You have some companies that refuse to sell a machine if you want Windows removed, then there are others that will remove it and reduce the price.

When Microsoft launches a new version of Windows, they continue to allow OEMs to sell PC's pre-installed with the previous version for up to two years after the launch date of the new version. Certain OEM versions of Windows products include Downgrade Rights, which make it possible to use a previous version of Windows instead of the licensed software preinstalled on a new PC.

So yes, you do have a choice. Continue to use your current OS, use a different OS, or downgrade. But you don't have a choice when it comes to the direction Microsoft is taking. If you don't like what they're doing now (forcing desktop PC and laptop users to use an OS designed for tablets), Microsoft will still go ahead. And why shouldn't they? They own 92% of the market.

They'll give 8 a try, and see what happens. Windows 8 will be a test case to see if there's a future for Metro UI. Time will tell. But I think 8 will follow the same path as Vista (23% market share max). Such a percentage would make it a failure, and hopefully force MS to make changes. If not, Linux Mint here I come (after support for 7 ends in 2020). :D

4. Grizz

Grizz MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    all these saying nobody is forcing you to use windows 8 and how much you all love it is all well and good for you :worthy: really happy for you.
    the decent option from microsoft would be to support all users not just some, have the option to turn off metro and have the start button back for those of us that want it( me included) , not it's this way or the highway option that they seem keen to thrust on those that don't like it or want it.
    i'm sure if microsoft said a square wheel was the way forward some of you would follow it.

5. cadcad

cadcad MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Windows 8 is two (2) steps backwards.

6. behemoth

behemoth MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2011
    What do you want from operation system? Desktop with shortcuts from Windows 95?

7. Bosh

Bosh MDL Developer

May 30, 2010
    I think this is totally biased. If I give a smart TV to my grand father of course he's going to feel ackward:
    "Where's the bunny antenna?"
    "What are this dialogs in the screen? I just want to change the chanel"

Does that mean smart TV sucks? Clearly no, that just means that if a persons is not used to technology changes they will face more problem facing technology changes.

For example, my 7 year old brother is more savy than my grandma when it comes to computers, even that she's been using them for more years than he ever lived.

I wouldn't make such assumptions about success or failure after not having the final product.

Peace :shisha:

8. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    The "shame" is 8 is faster - what a bummer

9. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    #69 steven4554, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    ClaSSIC SHELL is working fine in release preview, even in chinese(i do not understand nothing, but can change language....):D

11. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    Still, i think they should've made seperate version for tablets or touchscreens, but if MS wants to :suicide: itself, i won't stand in their way.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. slayermbm

slayermbm MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2011
    METRO is made for children and retards. Way to go, M$.

Please, give us the option to disable this crap.

13. suddo30

suddo30 MDL Novice

May 1, 2011
    you will see

14. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010