A few questions if you don't mind :)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by micky1punch, Apr 20, 2014.

1. micky1punch

micky1punch MDL Junior Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Ok, so been quite some time since I did much involving windows as I ventured into the world of linux for a while, and now I use OS X / windows dual boot (mackintosh)

Ive got windows 8 installed, have had for some time, activated using one of the tools here (KMS I believe)

Things are very different to when I installed a slic table for windows 7!!

I have been reading, but Im struggling to find a simple explanation of updating to 8.1, I know it will be there somewhere, but Ive not found it, any links or some assistance with that please?

In terms of backing up my license, does that even apply to me, or only to those who have genuine products looking to format there pc etc?

I rarely use windows, mainly due to the metro look, I understand 8.1 brings back the normal start menu and I can avoid metro?

Sorry for the complete noob questions, I know its not all new stuff, but is to myself, I'll continue reading what I can, but look forward to a response.

Thanks

2. micky1punch

Jul 24, 2009
    Just to add, in case its important, Im on UEFI boot.

Im reading about installing various updates prior to windows 8.1, Ive also read about installing a place or plate update?

Not sure what that refers to, I guess its a downloaded version as opposed to trying on the update thing?

3. Fraggy

Fraggy MDL Addicted

Jun 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. micky1punch

Jul 24, 2009
    lol, im so noob these days..

Ok so its been a while since I even booted windows up..

Im already on win 8.1 pro, status is activated..

:eek::eek::eek:

1 question before I go and hide ashamed somehwere..

Are there any updates I should avoid in windows update? there are many updates for 8.1 including security ones, although I dont use windows that often, Id like to keep it as updated as possible..

5. f33nix

f33nix MDL Member

Apr 4, 2012
    At the moment I have not seen a single update that has not loaded on a KMS activated Windows 8.x
    So load them up, if unsure... keep a few weeks behind patch Tuesday then read up here to see if one has broken system/activation.

6. micky1punch

Jul 24, 2009
    appreciate the help, cheers guys!