A few questions

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ynhdarkman, Feb 20, 2010.

1. ynhdarkman

ynhdarkman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    MS's USB Tool said that the Ultimate ISO isn't valid (ripped it from the DVD, which I burned using the RTM torrent found on the repository)...

Another USB tool I can use?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ynhdarkman

ynhdarkman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    Got Unetbootin from the repository, if it doesn't work, i'll try Win2Flash, thanks anyways :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Let us know your results, ynhdarkman. I also have a Win7 pro student key and was wondering whether it is possible to install it over Ultimate.

4. ynhdarkman

ynhdarkman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    I will as soon I have a fully working Pro install with the key
    But I'll wait until I have some free time, kinda busy with college (right now I've only got the notebook on my sig, my desktop's mobo died recently, saving money for another build)

5. ynhdarkman

ynhdarkman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    Well, here's what happened...
    Got the Ultimate ISO files inside a USB drive with Win2Flash, but when I tried to boot from it, it didn't... Got kinda pissed so I inserted the official Upgrade DVD, clean-installed, typed the key and it worked, absolutely no problems whatsoever, accepted the key and now it says I'm genuine as it should be (I'm yet to install WAT though)

So there you have it venu, you can try with that DVD, maybe It'll work like that too
    Good luck, and thanks for all the help you guys gave me :D

6. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
  7. ynhdarkman

ynhdarkman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    Got it

Update: Installed WAT and everything's OK as expected

8. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Thanks for the info, ynhdarkman. Glad it worked.
    For me though, will continue with modded install till doomsday come...
    Legit disk safely tucked away..

9. Gullwing

Gullwing MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2010
    Thanks for the Help!!

Well done; You blokes are life savers (apologies to any chicks):rolleyes:.

In brief my problem was .......

My computer hard drive died (running legit. XP), so I though it would be a good time to get Windows 7 for the new HDD. The 'clean' install went fine and honestly I can't remember what install I used but it went fine and I don't remember it asking me to install XP before continuing the upgrade. Then as my activation period came to an end I put the product key in and guess what, yes that's right the dreaded "The Product Key Is Not Valid Or 0xC004F061 Activation Error"?.

I looked at the Microsoft site for a 'work around' because I had a legit XP and a legit Upgrade, but to my surprise I couldn't find one. No worries, so I disconnected my internet and rang Microsoft for a telephone install.

The 'lovely' Philipino lady told me that the only solution was to re install XP then upgrade from there leaving XP on the system. We then went on with a 35 minute circuitious conversation where I explained my frustration at not be able to install the upgrade by inserting my XP disc as verification as I had experienced with previous Microsoft upgrades and she kept on insisting that my only option was to reinstall XP, etc.

When I asked about the settings and data that I entered over the previous 28 days, I was effectively and respectfully told it was 'my bad luck' ; I'm sure you can all appreciate my frustration, but I should say that I remained remarkably calm during the call (it must be the med's).

I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told there was noboby there to authorise that request and so we went around again. Bythis time I was confident that she was actually a self repeating tape recording..... and not human at all.:censored:

Anyway, in short, I got no satisfaction. I wasn't even able to voice my frustration about the whole sloppy process to a supervisor (then again it was P.O.E.T.S Day).

After some extensive searching I came across this forum and to much relief a fix........

BTW a combination of workarounds 1 & 3 did the job.

A big THANK YOU for helping achieve what Microsoft couldn't.:worthy:

Regards,

Gullwing