A few Win 10 questions like activation key, and taskbar

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ryouga, Feb 13, 2018.

1. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Ok question 1, how does activation work in Win10? Got a basic new laptop for travel but win10 runs a nightmare on it hitting 100% cpu and hard drive so was going to revert back to 7 or 8.1 but not sure where the key is stored, online says its not stored on pc itself.

Question 2, on my taskbar in Win 7 there was a option to customise if icons showed iand id hide everything and just click the arrow to show the icons and click on them, can't work this out on 10

Question 3, also relates to 8.1 I when say I move files if theres one with a file name in older windows it would give option to overwrite, skip, or rename can't work this out on 10 (or 8) either as its just replace or leave current file as is.

Any support appreciated.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    1. Key is probably a MSDM bioskey.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. WinterFox

WinterFox MDL Junior Member

Oct 25, 2007
    2.If you mean icons on the right of taskbar then right-click taskbar and pick settings. Then when you scroll a bit you should see "Select which icons appear on the taskbar". You will get same option by typing "taskbar icons" in taskbar's search option or in control panel will give you customize the taskbar.

3. You should get check file info or let me decide each file as 3rd option. Picking that and selecting both versions will add a number to the file you're copy/move

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Until right now, I haven't seen any Laptop with pre-installed OS without 'Bloatware'!

Most of the ISO come without PID.txt and EI.cfg, that applies to ALL ISO's I downloaded directly from Microsoft Servers! In case an OS needs to be re-installed (clean install) on a Laptop which has a Product Key embedded, one or both of those 2 files need to added/created for to use a different OS.

Some time ago I tested several untouched 'standard' ISO's, downloaded from Microsoft directly, to activate using a VL Key and was impossible, activation simply denied, while on real VL Version that was done with no problems using a legal KMS Server.
    I wouldn't lose the time to try again for to get the correct Error Message back, but it simply was saying that the used OS Version couldn't be activated using a Volume License Product Key.
    I only talk about the use of a legal way to get things working, which may differ from the use of some KMS Tool/MTK/PICO, which nothing else than just an illegal activation.
    The discussion of such illegal Tools are prohibited by Forum Rules, but nobody cares about that, incl. Admins and Mods!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #7 Enthousiast, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    1. I never saw new laptops with bloatware. The term bloatware is subjective and there are no big software packages like in the win 7 days pre-installed. Since OEM's mostly use the native windows "resetpc" and "start with a clean windows install" options to recover a system, it's a bit obsolete to pre-install a bunch of extra software that not will return when the mentioned options are used.
    2. None of the consumer_client iso's contain a pid.txt or ei.cfg, both have nothing to do with architecture control. The VL iso's contain an ei.cfg.
    3a. The inserted key prevails over all, it will change the channel to VOLUME_KMS when a KMS Client Setup Key (aka gVLK) is inserted, that's how almost every KMS solution does to activate.
    3b. No we aren't allowed to discuss KMS tools, originally developped and hosted/supported by MDL ;)
    3c. What has the use of KMS tools have to do with it? They emulate a real KMS server, and it works exactly the same.
    3d. The use of illegally obtained MAK or any other illegally obtained keys is not allowed to be discussed on MDL

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    1. I took that definition 'Bloatware' from this forum MDL, and if you would take the time to check you would find it elsewhere on the MDL Subs.
    2. The use of either PID.txt and EI.cfg is to overcome the BIOS embedded Product Keys, which also limits the installation of an OS Version to that PDKey version only.
    3a. From my own experiences, you're wrong! The insertion of a VL Key to a new and clean installation of Windows 10 Pro didn't allow the activation using a legal contained Key Management Server, activation was canceled because of a not supported OS Version (Non-VL Version)! Tested with the 3 different legal KMS Server I've access too.
    3b. Since when MDL has the authorization and needed Master VL Product Key from Microsoft? If that not exist, those KMS Tools, used with a not owned Master VL Product Key, are simply illegal and users end up using a pirated version of OS!
    3c. It's simply the used Master VL Product Key which must be legally obtained from Microsoft!
    3d. I didn't told anything about a MAK (Multiple Activation Key).

It doesn't matter what tools are the user is using for KMS/VL Activation, if the used Product Key ( MAK, VL, Master VL Product Key) are used un-authorized, or created on any other way then to obtain from the owner of the used OS, the use is illegal.