A friend gave me his Product Key for activation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Amarildo-Jr, Nov 24, 2014.

1. CEW

CEW MDL Senior Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #21 CEW, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    The principle is when you have been granted a statutory ( or your equivalent ) right, it cannot be taken away from you. Not by a person, not by a document, or anything else. That is to prevent people being misled or pressured into giving up their rights. It also stops abuses by those in a position of monopoly power.

A good example is the legal minimum wage. An employer cannot get people to sign away their right to the minimum wage. Of course not - there would be no point in having a legal minimum if that was the case.

I expect all civilised countries will be the same.

Trying to prevent people selling software they have bought is an obvious attempt to prevent a second hand market.

What would happen if car manufacturers were allowed to prevent the second hand car market?

2. Amarildo-Jr

Amarildo-Jr MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2014
    I'm following you completely, but I can't assure I have such right in this case. Hope you understand :p

3. CEW

CEW MDL Senior Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #23 CEW, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    If you are concerned, then see if you have any problems with the activation in a few days.

If you do, then ring MS on the toll free number they provide for Brazil - if you tell them it is only being used on one machine,they will activate it for you, they always do. Don't respond to any prompts to press buttons - just wait till an operator answers.
    Toll free number for Brazil is 0-800-888-4081

You get the toll free number by typing slui.exe 4 in the start search box.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Fact is, there different OEM Versions, special those which are not product bundled and those which are bundled to an Product/Brand.

The 'open' version, which isn't bundled to any product, could be installed on any hardware, doesn't matter about brand, product, specification or whatsoever. MS although accept the installation on up to three different device which they classified as Home, Office and Mobile (Laptop), to use as long as they're not used at the same time (do they really check that?)! On the same way Office could be used up to version 2010 (I haven't checked 2013).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    The ones assigned at factories are OEM:SLP and he cannot activate without certificate and slp string in bios. His friends key will probably be OEM:NONE SLP but as you say it is tied to original machine and is not transferable unlike retail key, which you can transfer but only use on one machine at a time :rolleyes:

6. CEW

CEW MDL Senior Member

Jan 21, 2011
  7. Amarildo-Jr

Amarildo-Jr MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2014
    Thanks but I don't feel much confident while using the loader. Now I have to decide between using an original Key with a "god knows what's in there" iso, and an official iso with a "god know what's in there" loader.

8. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Best choice is an original key and official iso.
    Second best is Daz loader and official iso. What is in the official version of the loader is well known.

This whole thread is likely much fuss about nothing, since you have already activated successfully, and especially if the key your friend gave you was never before used.

9. Amarildo-Jr

Amarildo-Jr MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2014
    #29 Amarildo-Jr, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
    (OP)
    I know. Problem is, I can't unlock all editions on the Home Premium ISO for some reason. I just doesn't boot.
    Oh, I guess our definitions of "well known" differ :p Unless, of course, you've worked on the project and seen the entire source code.

The activation I did was basically a test on a 80 GB hard drive I have. For me to use an OS I need to 'dd' (ZeroFill) all my drivers. I like to start fresh.

10. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    With that attitude, you shouldn't even use Windows. Nobody except MS knows exactly what's in there. :evil:

11. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Then ISO is either already touched (that can be done by OEM) or you do something wrong :g:? Default MS Retail ISO will unlock the ed.itions

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  13. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Fine, many of us do similar methods but

14. Amarildo-Jr

Amarildo-Jr MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2014
    #35 Amarildo-Jr, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
    (OP)
    Hehehehe, I know, that's why I've been using Linux for over 8 years. Too bad I have a job contract to follow that I need to use Rhinoceros to compelte, my contractor doesn't want me to use the better program called Blender.

That's how it should work I assume, but for some reason I can't make it bootable.

I'm not using that, sorry.

That would be a FANTASTIC idea, I do backup images with my virtualbox installs. But I spent my last bucks on my new bike and on the extraction of my wisdom tooth. Gonna have to wait a few months to buy another 1TB drive.

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  16. Amarildo-Jr

Amarildo-Jr MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2014
    #37 Amarildo-Jr, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  17. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #38 pisthai, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  18. Amarildo-Jr

Amarildo-Jr MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2014
    I've seen that tool before and it doesn't perform a LLF. All it does is a simple wipe as 'dd' and Hiren's boot cd do. There are no home user tools capable of doing a LowLevelFormat, only the factory :eek: