a new way to detect moded BIOSes ??

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ammarman, Aug 29, 2009.

1. ammarman

ammarman MDL Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Hello everyone,

I just have this thought and I want you to tell me if I'm thinking right :confused:

What if Microsoft decided to create a database like this:

[Motherboard - BIOS Version - Has SLIC ? - SLIC Version]

then, the first thing Windows 7 will do is to contact Microsoft site to check if your motherboard's BIOS already has SLIC from the FACTORY, if Windows detect that your BIOS shipped without SLIC that means you have moded your BIOS, then you will see "not genuine" in the corner.

I'm I thinking right ? :)

2. motion55

motion55 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2008
    You should be working for Microsoft.

Right now that's all pie in the sky. Come back a day after Microsoft pulls off that trick.

3. Dontshoot

Dontshoot MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2009
    Put the bong down and step away.

And no. the bird outside is not watching everything you do.

4. Stormcrow

Stormcrow MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    If MS choose to try to detect modded bioses, they would likely push the responsibility and costs down to the OEMs rather that try to maintain a database themselves.

The obvious thing to do would be to require the OEMs to include a signature of the whole bios as part of the SLCI table. Then SLICS would not be swappable between BIOSES; in fact it would be impossible to make any DIY mods to the BIOS at all without the signature being wrong, since the modders don't have the OEM's private key.

This would not require any costly database and associated admin issues.

They missed the opportunity when they updated the SLIC spec to 2.1.
    Perhaps in SLP3.0 for win8?

--
    SC

5. Maldave

Maldave MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Do you even know what you are talking about ?
    The whole point of Volume Licence is to NOT to connect to internet when activating a windows. If Microsoft wanted todo what you said they will just remove the option for Volume Licence and have everyone in the world use a retail version.

6. Maldave

Maldave MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Even so a loader would still activate windows, since you can pretty much emulate any hardware you want.