A quick question for anyone who has installed an i7 920

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by stenempire, Sep 17, 2009.

1. stenempire

stenempire MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2009
    I have just installed an i7 920 cpu, I used the stock thermal paste that was already on the cooler, it appeared that there was nothing protecting the thermal paste like a plastic film or something so i just installed it, now i'm paranoid there was a plastic film on and it's gonna stuff my cpu but i don't want to have to take it off just to check and have to reapply thermal paste

2. phasewolf

phasewolf MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    Well just download core temp and see how much hot the cpu is running.

3. murdercitydevil

murdercitydevil MDL Member

Sep 7, 2009
    do yourself a favor, buy good thermal paste like arctic silver 5 at the very least, take off all the stock garbage (trust me, it's garbage), clean the chip and the cooler well with high % rubbing alcohol, and apply a very thin, even layer of AS5 (or whatever) to the chip ONLY, then mount the heatsink. You will be surprised at how much your temps drop. Especially if you use a good after market heatsink.

I run a Q6600 at 3.6ghz and use a Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 with 2 120mm fans, with MX-5 thermal paste. It idles in the 30's and at full load never breaks 60 C.

4. tom.slick

tom.slick MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2008
    A little late, but there is NO plastic on the bottom of the stock heatsink. Your fine.

5. alextheg

alextheg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Hi Murdercity. I have the same processor on a Gigabyte EG41MF-US2H mobo and have been trying to overclock. However as soon as i stress the machine it just crashes to the blue screen of death. Would you share with me some info on how you have your q6600 at 3.6ghz, i am very keen to know. PM me if you like. :) :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...