A simple way to flash a modded BIOS without official flashing program

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by danny3456, Aug 28, 2009.

1. danny3456

danny3456 MDL Member

Aug 22, 2009
    #1 danny3456, Aug 28, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
    This is to share my experience with folks who have problems without an official flashing software from oems, usually go with a self-extracting BIOS, like Dell's. Hope it can help.

1) Download the latest BIOS from official site to an EMPTY folder

2) Download the modded BIOS to the same folder

3) Run the official self-extracting BIOS file

4) Let the BIOS file finish the updating of BIOS

5) The folder will be left with several unzipped files including the window flashing/DOS program and a rom or bin BIOS file

6) Double click the window/DOS flashing program and select the modded BIOS to flash again

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    This doesn't work will all dell bioses mines is an inspiron 530 it wont flash bios with same version or downgrade to older version i needed to flash from dos.

3. danny3456

danny3456 MDL Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Agree.

Mine is Dell inspiron 1501 and it has worked perfectly. The idea is to get the right flashing software unzipped instead of re-package it to a self-extracting file, if you are only provided with a modded rom/bin file. I am sure Dell has a lot of varieties and just give you an idea how it may work. Common sense applies.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ danny3456, i agree also cheers that is the problem to many peeps using bios tools now someone thinking i will take the pressure of the bios modders decided to post a thread on how to use the ami and award bios modding tools made by andyp. The intent was god but ends up they are just posting bios file without original tools or instructions on how to flash them. Noticed lately on the forum more and more peeps bricking there motherboards, ok as i said the tools are available great do your own mod take the risk and flash but don't go doing mods for other people when they don't know the basics. Has ended up more more work for original modders.

5. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    #5 NoJuan999, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
    With all due Respect, I completely disagree with that statement.
    I have personally modded over 120 AMI Bios' for people that requested them (with over 650 downloads of those mods) and have yet to get feedback stating a Bricked Board was the result of any of those mods.
    Only two or three that I know of failed to activate win 7.
    I can't see how that has not helped take some of the load off of the more experienced modders , so they could work on the more difficult mods.

6. yngdiego

yngdiego MDL Member

Feb 14, 2008
    While the mod'd BIOS I got for my P5B Deluxe didn't brick it, there appeared to be a negative side-effect which forced me to toss it in the trash. Under Windows 7 after the BIOS mod at a random time after login the CPU would peg to 100% on both cores. Fresh re-install of WIndows 7 didn't cure it. This never happened prior to the BIOS mod. I reset all BIOS settings, etc. Spent several days trying to undo the damage, to no avail.

7. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    #7 NoJuan999, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I didn't mention any names when i posted my comments there are a lot of people still bricking there motherboards either by doing bad mod maybey done themself with the tools available or by not flashing with correct switches and also modders not posting bios files with original flasher.

9. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but... aren't most of the 'original flasher's for BIOS's Windows based now?
    And isn't one of the suggestions for flashing a modded BIOS to NOT use a Windows based flasher?

Ever think that the increase in bricked mobos is due to the increase in people flashing BIOS? i.e. More people using it, more people bricking but the same % of people.
    Ever think that it could also be due to the fact that many people are impatient and flashing a BIOS can take a few minutes with a black screen and people are choosing to turn off/on / restart and that is causing the problems?

I think the problem lies less with the modders and more with the increased number of impatient people flashing their BIOS's.
    Patience is the key when it comes to flashing BIOS's.