A very strange issue with win10_14393 & office 2016.. PLEASE help test!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by biatche, Aug 6, 2016.

1. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    tmp-rs1issue-4.png tmp-rs1issue-3.png tmp-rs1issue-2.png tmp-rs1issue-1.png

To reproduce this:

1. DISM mount Win10_14393_Ent install.wim, commit+unmount. (I tested disablefeatures, removepackages, integrate drivers before i came to the conclusion to just mount and commit to test). I installed via network share via WinPE.
    2. Install office 2016. I used VLSC. I tried with latest updates as well as no updates.
    3. Open ANY browser (IE, chrome, firefox tested) and download a .docx or .xlsx or whatever office document. I used a local webserver to test.
    4. Open the file.

Notes:
    - Downloading via wget works
    - Copying the downloaded file to network drive then opening it there works
    - Copying docx file from network drive then opening works.
    - Libreoffice opens downloaded file just fine.
    - I've seen several different varying hashes but i have NOT confirmed. I might have mistaken.
    - If i do not use DISM, this issue does not happen. I can open downloaded office files just fine.

Can anybody confirm this please if its just me? If you have used dism on your offline image, please help test.
    Thanks

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #2 Enthousiast, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    What should mounting and unmounting has to do with the office error? It's what you did to the mounted wim, not dism itself.

3. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    Exactly, thats why im asking somebody to help me test. Also, it's mounting + committing (no changes) that's doing it. That's why i said -strange-.

My MSMG modified wim's caused the problem. My images with manual integrations via dism did the same thing. I so tested each of these individually: integrating drivers, disabling features, etc etc.. and finally I just mounted and commited WITHOUT any changes to the images and it happened. I've no idea anymore.

4. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    Look like did not give full permission on the Linux server.. Somehow need give permission rights..

ATGPUD2003

5. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
  6. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    Same issue here with Windows 10 1607 and Office 2016.
    I already explained the issue in the MSMG thread, this did NOT happen in the previous build 10586 (that was modded by wintweak and CMD script).
    My guess is that Micrsosoft screwed up with the DISM, if it turns out that MSMG toolkit is not the culprit here.

Cheers.

7. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    can anyone here with a microsoft account bring this issue to the attention of microsoft?

8. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    can somebody with refsv3 test this on refs disk? actually what we need is a response from microsoft.

i mean if this issue is prevalent for us, it should be the same for OEM brands like HP, DELL, etc right?

9. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    #10 Supern00b, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    The issue is not with the docs or xls files, they are perfectly fine.
    This issue is that "Office protected view" itself does not work.
    You can try to open any doc (also non-downloaded files) in protected view, either way it won't work.

While searching for a solution, I decided to give process monitor from Sysinternals a run.
    Got a whole lot of access denied errors, on registry keys like "enterprise certificates" and "systemcertificates" but also on a file in system32, "vcruntime140.dll".
    After that I looked at the owner of that folder, and it was not "Trusted Installer" but something else (SID).

Perhaps people can look if this is consistent with their issue, for now I'm still lost.

Cheers.

10. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    That's no solution, it's a workaround.
    The Office protected view just has to work.
    Files from another computer or downloaded from the net always opened in protected view.

Like I said, it also happens with files (docs) made on the very same computer that otherwise open just fine.
    Just try to open them in protected view, they won't open as protected view itself doesn't work.

Cheers.

11. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    #14 Supern00b, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    I just prepared another image, this time with Enterprise LTSB using MSMG Toolkit.
    Integrated:
    - Net framework 3.5
    - DirectX 9
    - Cumulative update
    Removed:
    All that could be removed from the image, left advanced windows components.

After installing, Office protected view worked just fine.
    In other words, integrating MSMG games pack or sidebar screws up the image, resulting in permission errors.
    Solved for now, waiting for MSMG author to release updated version.

Edit:
    Not only Office protected view is not working. I have since got all strange issues.
    Cannot enable/disable Avira antivirus from taskbar
    Edge errors out on some pages from local network
    For my own system I may have to do a clean install, Windows has been damaged beyond repair due to those permission issues.

Cheers.

12. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    More testing has been done.
    First, I prepared a new image with MSMG toolkit, Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 1607, this time x64 architecture.
    Integrated:
    - Net framework 3.5
    - DirectX 9
    - Cumulative update
    Removed:
    All that could be removed from the image, left advanced windows components.

Tried updating my own (borked) system to correct possible file and folder ACL issues.
    Although it did correctly install with correct permissions on folders and files, Office protected view was still not working.
    So I concluded that the imported registry must be at fault.

I did a clean install from the same image and Office protected view worked just fine.

Cheers.

13. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    You know, all you need to do is mount, commit+unmount and this issue happens. Only time this dont happen is if its an untouched wim.

14. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    Yes, I did read your post about only mount + commit without actual changes, of course when using MSMG the image is mounted and committed, but still I could not reproduce the issue
    either on x86 or x64.
    It may have something to do with your host OS or dism version, but for me it was MSMG with games pack and sidebar problem.

Did you try to use procmon (sysinternals) to see what happens when opening a document in protected view?

Cheers.

15. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    No I'm tired trying to fix this. I simply disabled protected view altogether.