A warning aobut the RC ~~IMPORTANT~~

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cbrewer, May 5, 2009.

1. cbrewer

cbrewer MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2009
  2. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ph03n!x

ph03n!x MDL Member

Apr 21, 2008
  4. Aradria

Aradria MDL Novice

Apr 23, 2009
    heh unlikely, very few people are going to want to use a beta 9 months or so after the gold.

They all have expiry dates..

5. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    #5 luke, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
    Who cares you'll be able to download the retail by then or go out and buy it

6. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Or - do a Bios-Mod and enjoy a problem-free existence with a 'genuine' OS,
    like it is possible with Vista ;)

8. Cornmeister

Cornmeister MDL Member

Dec 8, 2008
    crap :D

the end of the world :D
    HELP!

9. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    The fact that you can use the RC for a year+ is unprecedented. If you can't come up with the money to buy the OS in a year then you deserve to have your OS reboot on your in time-bomb fashion.

10. Bobs626

Bobs626 MDL Junior Member

Jan 30, 2008
    uhh...its a beta!

I'm not sure if it means much but as a beta tester myself i was under the understanding that the beta should not be used in a mision critical machine or where the loss of data would be a issue...so going into it knowing that it was a beta should tell me to back up any vital data or place it on a non beta machine.....just my thoughts :rolleyes:

11. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Lawsuits, et al.

Blued makes a very good point that I have elaborated elsewhere, to wit: MS, mindful of the potential harm to users' systems, users who may not fully understand issues related to trial/beta/legitimacy, bends over backwards to avoid even the potential for suits. Thus, for example, users with pirated copies are still able to DL and apply security fixes, although they may not be able to do the same with non-critical components.

As HSChronic aptly points out, if one cannot come up with (and be willing to spend) a hundred or so bucks in a year or more, then I think it fitting to add my own "you deserve what you get" accolade.

Monk

12. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    I got sick of pirating MS software, I find other ways to get it without breaking my wallet.

One easy way is all the people that work retail get the Retail Edge program which different vendors such as Intel and MS participate to propagandize you to sell their products (they say it is to 'teach you'), and in return for the e-learnings you get points to spend in the virtual marketplace on stuff.

A second which is a real good deal for anyone that has their own home network or wants a good way to try MS products in a non-timebomb fashion is Technet, there is a coupon code out there that knocks $50 off the $350 price so for $300 to get access to just about every MS product out there is a good deal.

Then there are giveaways, or buying the software from a 3rd party.

People will still pirate the OS, and that is your deal but I am satisfied with the OS, so I think I should take some of my money and give it back to the people that helped design the OS by buying it or at least getting a legit license.

13. BigCol

BigCol MDL Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Im not too worried myself. I'll just go back to Vista Ultimate until I have enough money to buy a genuine copy of windows 7 when it comes out.

14. Junner2003

Junner2003 MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2008
    Not to the topic but it fits in nicely here: Does anybody know how many $$$s Microsoft will charge for the retail version of Windows 7? I doubt it will be as cheap as Vista but rather up in the price range of Windows XP Pro ... ?

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Maybey you could search on Google and see if anyone out there can tell the future while your there ask them if it will activate with the same slic's as vista:D

16. Junner2003

Junner2003 MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2008
    ... or I could ask here and see what other users guess it might be!