ABIT IP35-E USB Booting

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Tachyon, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Tachyon

Tachyon MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2009
    Hello all,

I've got a question with booting from a USB drive. I'm using an AWARD Bios. In the Boot menu, I see several options for USB; such as USB-CDRom , USB-Zipdrive or something e.t.c

Which one do I choose to make it boot from a FLASH DRIVE ? I don't see anything that implicitly says USB-Flash Drive.

2. ricksy50

ricksy50 MDL Junior Member

Sep 15, 2009
    My asus board needs usb legacy enabled (not auto) and usb zip to be selected in bios to boot from a usb key.

3. truthinjection

truthinjection MDL Member

Aug 27, 2009
    I've only messed with the Abit IP35-Pro, but in many BIOSes, the various "USB-x" entries can be used, but if you partitioned/formatted the USB flash drive like a hard drive, it might be bootable by choosing "Hard Disk" as the boot option and then picking the "Hard Disk Boot Priority" (or similarly-named item); on the IP35-Pro it's directly above the entries where you select the "USB-CDROM", etc, entries.

One annoying thing about that method is that you have to have the flash drive inserted when you set the BIOS, and if you boot with the drive removed later, it will forget the entry and put the USB device lowest in the Hard Disk priority next time you boot. Depending on your need, though, that might be not an issue.

Hope that helps,
    -tij-