about windows 8 security features

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by test004, Apr 22, 2013.

1. test004

test004 MDL Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Hello, many claim that windows 8 with the build in windows defender is more than what you need
    Some believe that if you use a third party security program like norton kaspersky etc you are risking your self as they deactivate some windows 8 security features
    On the other hand i have read a review from pcmagazine and the test of windows defender was really low (almost passed the test)
    Im really confused if its the right decision to use a third party security program or not

2. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Windows defender isn't that good - trust the review and turn it off and you are better off using another antivirus package - many out there! :eek:

3. alicepattinson

alicepattinson MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    I've been using Avast for I guess 2 years? You would want to try it as well. The premium version is the best!

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    -Windows Defender is better than using no AV.
    -Third party AVs like Kasperksy, BitDefender, Norton, etc. just disable Windows Defender and fully utilize & integrate themselves into Windows 8 security model like verfying drivers, Windows Apps, secure boot, etc.
    -Majority of third party AVs have better detection and cure than Windows Defender. Security paranoids will never rely on Windows Defender...:cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    THAT is just true for most of them! Im security paranoid as well and therefore I didn't run any AV apps on an single computer of my own Network! I run an old 486 with Smoothwall as advanced hardware firewall and us to scan the whole network twice a month using the latest Cure It from FreeDrWeb. Haven't had a single infection the last 1½ year.

Done that way, I didn't have a Firewall and AV running on my computers which has the effect to run better, more smooth with much less resources needed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Haaklong

Haaklong MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2013
    Most reviews say it's not bad nor good (I use it, honestly), but the advantage of it is that it challenges
    anti-virus companies to improve their's, Microsoft is constantly updating Microsoft Security Essentials/
    Windows 8 to become better, and many people forget that a few years ago, it was one of the best A.V.'s
    in the game.