Absolutely no codec pack working for my new windows 8 laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by surfchamp, Feb 26, 2013.

1. surfchamp

surfchamp MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2013
    I just bought a brand new laptop with windows 8 on it and I've been trying to find the right codec to play all my movie files, none of them seem to be doing anything. The videos will play, but the visual quality is super poor, spotty, blocking, with lines and stripes seen especially when graphics are dark. All the movie files I tried work perfectly fine on my old computers (XP and Vista) with the codecs on them, but on this new one, I tried K-Lite, Shark007, DivX+, Xvid, pretty much every pack I could find online, none are solving the issues whatsoever! Can anybody enlighten me as to what to do? Is there something entirely different I need to do to configure my WMP in order to play these files in high quality? Please help!

2. vymrdal

vymrdal MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    Congrats. Now, reformat, reinstall and stop installing needless and useless crap.

3. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    How about VLC player? :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. surfchamp

surfchamp MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2013
    Just tried VLC, same thing, no good.

5. surfchamp

surfchamp MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2013
    Just tried it, same, no good

6. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    1st thing since what others have posted does not help you.
    a. you are infected with a Trojan or virus
    b. you installed so much junk - it is all screwing your up
    c. your system is fake
    d. you never stated what edition of Windows 8 your using
    e. make an model of laptop all this would help..

7. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    I'd add f - bad(nonexistent) drivers
    and g - hard-drive fault OR the drive is overloaded
    That would correlate with the fact that VLC failed too. Also,for the record - I use shark007 on all my Win8 machines and I'm yet to experience any issues with it.

8. surfchamp

surfchamp MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2013
    Here's all the specifications for this computer, fresh out of the box as of yesterday. So you think I have a defective machine then?

[h=4]3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i5-3337U processor[/h] Features a 3MB L3 cache and 1.8GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz.

[h=4]Intel® Core™ i5 processor[/h] Features smart 4-way processing performance with a speed boost.

[h=4]Intel® Turbo Boost Technology[/h] Delivers extra performance when you need it and increased energy efficiency when you don't. Intel® HD graphics provide extra graphics power for your laptop when you need it.

[h=4]6GB DDR3 memory[/h] For multitasking power.

[h=4]Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support[/h] Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.

[h=4]14" LED-backlit LCD high-definition widescreen 10-point multitouch display[/h] With CineCrystal technology and 1366 x 768 resolution showcases movies and games in arresting clarity.

[h=4]500GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)[/h] Along with a 20GB solid state drive offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.

[h=4]Intel® HD Graphics 4000[/h] Feature 128MB dedicated video memory for lush, detailed images. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV.

[h=4]Media control keys[/h] Including play/pause, stop, previous, next, volume up and volume down allow simple one-touch operation.

[h=4]Built-in 1.3MP HD webcam and digital microphone[/h] Make it easy to video chat with family and friends in 1280 x 1024 resolution.

[h=4]2-in-1 media reader[/h] Supports Secure Digital and MultiMediaCard formats.

[h=4]2 USB 3.0 ports[/h] For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.

[h=4]Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11a/b/g/n)[/h] Connect to the Internet without wires.

[h=4]Bluetooth 4.0 + HS interface[/h] Easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.

[h=4]Weighs 4.6 lbs. and measures just 0.9" thin[/h] For easy portability. Backlit keyboard allows easy typing in low-light conditions.

[h=4]Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit operating system preinstalled[/h] Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.

[h=4]Software package included[/h] With NTI Media Maker and more. Includes 1-month trial of Microsoft Office 365.

[h=4]ENERGY STAR certified[/h] Designed to use less energy and meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Energy.

9. surfchamp

surfchamp MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2013
    BTW, make and model is
    [h=1]Acer - Aspire Ultrabook 14" Touch-Screen Laptop - 6GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Silver[/h]

10. surfchamp

surfchamp MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2013
    So, just reset the whole computer, cleared everything back to factory setting, downloaded shark007, installed it, played videos, still the same poor quality. Am I supposed to mess with the "Settings Application" at all and change things to make it different?

11. vymrdal

vymrdal MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    Sigh. Stop messing with the codec packs nonsense and focus on the drivers (chipset, GPU).

12. surfchamp

surfchamp MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2013
    Ok, I will. I just don't know what that means. Focus on driver, can you explain?

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Did your laptop has an Dual Graphic: Intel & Nvidia like my Aspire 4752 has? If so, you'll need to install the drivers for both to get graphics and also movies works fine. 128MB for the graphic seems a bit to much to low for a today new laptop and that special for an Ultrabook!

And what model is your Aspire? there a lot different Aspire Ultrabooks from Acer available. Most of them having an HD4000 Graphic integrated!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  15. tinux

tinux MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Let's stop wasting the Op 's time

You have a new Laptop with windows 8 .it must work out the box without any issue.
    so format everything
    start fresh
    MUST-----------> update your video drivers but before you do check at start on bios which is your primary card you are using? make sure you set it correctly
    don't download codecc they are a waste of space because nothing is free unless bundled with junk that eats up all your memory etc...
    Instead use a free open source program to convert your videos to either MP4 or even HD 1008p for better quality . the program i use is free any video converter
    Either use windows player or LAN player to play any converted videos.
    The issue you have is graphic card driver and nothing else.