Absolutely no codec pack working for my new windows 8 laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by surfchamp, Feb 26, 2013.

1. surfchamp

surfchamp MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2013
    Just went to the Acer website as pisthai suggested. I entered my serial number and found that my computer does not have the AHCI Intel and the Wireless LAN Atheros drivers. So just download and install?

2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Go for it Champ. :D

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You also need to download the Windows 7 Drivers for the Graphic because they not exist till now for Windows 8!! And check your BIOS Version and update if yours is older!!

Maybe you've to set the drivers in Compatibility Mode for Windows 7 BEFORE installing!! I would do that anyway!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. surfchamp

surfchamp MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2013
    Acer Aspire M5-481PT is exactly what I have. I'm downloading the AHCI Intel SATA AHCI Driver and the Wireless LAN Atheris Wireless LAN Driver right now as the Acer website suggests for my operating system. So once I install these would my video graphics issues be resolved?

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Maybe NOT! As I wrote twice: download the Graphic Drivers for Intel and Nvidia for Windows 7 64bit, set them before installing to Windows 7 Compatibility Mode and install them. There no drivers for Windows 8 (yet)!

And just curious: Was the Windows 8 Factory installed or did the dealer install it for you? I ask because that Model isn't with Factory Windows 8 installed available in Thailand!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. surfchamp

surfchamp MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2013
    The BIOS tab on the Acer website has this warning message "Updating an incorrect BIOS may cause harm to your system. We recomend that you only do this after being instructed by one of our Customer Care representatives. By using these updates you agree to accept the possibility of product failure."
    Is this something that I need to be concerned about? And also, how do I download the Windows 7 Drivers?
    I'm sorry, I've just never done any of this stuff before and I don't want to mess up my new computer. Thanks.

7. surfchamp

surfchamp MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2013
    The computer came with factory Windows 8 installed. What is Windows 7 Compatibility Mode and how do I install that?

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    OMG!

Right click on the setup file, chose Properties, click on Compatibility, Check Run this program in compatibility mode for.... and chose Wiundows 7 from the drop down list, check Run this program as an administrator, click Apply and click OK. Run the setup file. Do that for any single setup file.

The Compatibility Mode is to tell Windows 8 to run the program as Windows 7 Program because of lack of Windows 8 native Driver.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Regarding the BIOS Update: That is an standard messages, just a warning to be careful. On the Acer website in Support section and downloads, is an clear explanation how to use the BIOS Update procedure. There shouldn't be any problem. You could try first to just install the drivers and see all works fine after, but if didn't may the BIOS update is required.

10. surfchamp

surfchamp MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2013
    Thanks pisthai, one more question, the Intel and NVIDIA drivers for Windows 7 that are available to download are here:
    Intel
    Chipset Driver
    SATA AHCI Driver
    IRST (Intel Rapid Start Technology) Driver
    USB 3.0 Driver
    VGA Driver
    NVIDIA
    VGA Driver
    VGA Driver (PhysX)

Do I need all of these?

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Download the Bold Drivers. Check with the Manual from your laptop which of the VGA Drivers are need to be used.

12. surfchamp

surfchamp MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2013
    should I do the last bottom one for the BIOS upgrade?

BIOS Acer BIOS 1.12 2.8 MB 2012/12/17
    BIOS Acer BIOS 1.05 2.8 MB 2012/11/28
    BIOS Acer BIOS 2.11 3.0 MB 2012/11/15
    BIOS Acer BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades) 2.07 3.0 MB 2012/11/05

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I would go with 2.11 which will have UEFI included as well. That could be very useful for Windows 8.