AC Adapter or Faulty Battery?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Demencial777, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Demencial777

Demencial777 MDL Junior Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Hi there!

Well, after what it seem to be like my triumph against sudden reboots (probably I just needed to fasten some screws to get all in order) I have a little doubt, since always, I noticed that my laptop battery tends to "discharge" when I do extensive tasks, name it doing video encoding or streaming with the GPU encoder. In any case, seems like it discharges, and tries to charge back, but at a very slow rate, all of this, using the AC adapter.

I seldom use the battery as I'm always working on home, and plugged, but this obvious discharge cycles are wearing the battery (32% according to AIDA64).

I've been told in Acer forums that probably the AC adapter is not enough to keep up with giving power to the PC and keeping the charge of the battery, it's a 45 Watt AC charger, the original taht came with this PC, then I was told that in some parts this laptop was sold with the "for gamers" tag (It's a fast hardware, no doubt, but for gamers?... dunno) and this particular, while being the same model, had a 65 watt AC adapter instead of this one.

Now, the guy, very kindly, recommended me to better look for the 65 watt adapter, so this doesn't happen...

What I would want to know is if, this actually is because of the AC adapter, or because the battery is either faulty or temps (this last is kinda unlikely, it's strange but, when streaming, I don't notice any super high temps, it maxes to 65 C at most, sometimes is even less...)

In either case, I'm already hunting for a 64 watt charger and a replacement battery in case this one dies, but I wanted to still check with you in case I'm missing something here...

The laptop in question is an Aspire E5-553-1786, APU AMD A12 9700P, Radeon R7 (512 MB), a new HGST 1 TB 7200 RPM spinner, and... pretty much that is XD.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Cya!

2. Demencial777

Demencial777 MDL Junior Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Sorry for the rather long absence :/ My job has been hectic

I'll try your suggestion and see what happens, hopefully that would let teh battery work normally under full loads

Thanks a bunch!!

3. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Also fully charge the battery and run the shell command powercfg/energy to analyze it to further ascertain the condition beside the AIDA64 test.

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    to add. some newer laptops have a smart charge that only charges %80 to save batt from early death