Accessing InsydeH20 3.7 advanced menus on Lenovo Y50?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by MajorDude, Aug 2, 2014.

1. MajorDude

MajorDude MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2014
    I'm working on a project using a Lenovo Y50 laptop, wherein I am building a custom case for the guts so as to run it like a desktop, i.e., headless. I cannot get the laptop to default to the external monitor at boot, however, and since the Y50 uses an InsydeH20 3.7 UEFI BIOS with very limited options, I can't change the default monitor (which I assume would be an option in these advanced settings, going by past laptop BIOSes I've seen).

The first day I had the laptop, I somehow accessed the advanced settings of this BIOS via keystrokes, which from what I can recall, was from mashing the F2 and Delete keys in some sequence during POST. I cannot replicate it now, and I've tried just about every key combo, including the "A" key method, which doesn't appear to work on Lenovo machines. Switching from UEFI to Legacy boot did not give me any additional options, either.

So there is certainly SOME way to access the advanced settings, even if it's not intended -- or maybe it was just a fluke. I've Googled until I think I can't Google anymore (which I how I came across the MDL BIOS forums), with no answers yet. I would rather not use a modded BIOS unless I absolutely must.

Any gurus here happen to know the arcane key combo I stumbled upon...or is it bad news for me?

TIA.

2. corbonzo

corbonzo MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2014
    Needing to get access too

I recently did something foolish, i disabled my integrated graphics thinking it would just allow my other Better graphics card to work all the time... so now i just have a black screen on startup... it seems the only way to fix this issue is through re enabling it through BIOS but that requires advance tab which is not there in the 3.7 so currently my computer is not operational. but like ive read many times people have seemed to accidentally find the hotkey to open it but dont know what it is, so its clear it exists.

3. x86opcode

x86opcode MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2014
    I just bought a Y40 laptop and the same thing happened to me. I'm working on the F keys and Del to see what the arrangement was. I'll post back if/when I figure it out. Hopefully it'll work for your Y50 as well.

4. fchung0712

fchung0712 MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2014
    Either it was just a coincidence, or time matters. The times that I was able to get into the advanced settings were around 12 p.m. I did not hit any different keys at all. Has anyone else discovered the "secret" method to access the advanced menu? I am using a Y40 though, so it might be different