account deleted?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by azrul, Jun 5, 2009.

1. azrul

azrul MDL Junior Member

Feb 2, 2009
    why some people want their account here to be deleted?
    why dont just leave it?
    is there something that i dont know?

2. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    I have no idea...there is no reason to. Maybe they just want to make sure no one can find any information on them which apparently is a misconception...we're in no way illegal or else :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Privacy

Everything you post here is available for anyone, anywhere, to see. For example, you may have noticed that, if you Google a particular issue, a page may be returned pointing to a specific thread/post on MDL. Perhaps one no longer wishes to be associated with past comments or this forum.

As part of the registration process, email/IP addresses and other data are collected (but never shared) to facilitate the management of messages, alerts, and other processes that are necessary to operate and maintain the forum. Perhaps one no longer wants that data to remain on file. As Ancestor(v) aptly points out, however, MDL does not engage in any illegal acts that compromise a member's privacy or security. Indeed, the administration and moderators dauntlessly patrol the forum, scrubbing it of any objectionable or potentially harmful activity.

Perhaps one posted a file-share, Torrent, software key, or method to work around WGA, OGA, activation, or other antipirating measure and is fearful that the long arm of MS or others will reach into their lives and punish them for doing so. I think members need not be anxious about such a possibility. In the first place, the recent troubles experienced by Pirate Bay clearly demonstrate a long-standing legal axiom, to wit: if you trip over the cleaning lady's mop and injure yourself, you sue the company - not the cleaning lady. MDL has more to fear about what it allows to be posted in the forum than do those who created the post. Secondly, MS, e.g., is not likely to make a big deal about a post that they think unfairly compromises their products. More often than not, they will simply make a request that an "offending" post be removed - and forums usually comply. You see this, especially with Google, when a post alerts one that a page/thread/post has been removed due to a "third party" request, because it was in violation of copyright or other laws.

Finally, I have no doubt that sometimes such requests issue as a public protest: "Oh yeah! . . . well you can just cancel my subscription!"

Bottom line: Ancestor(v) is correct: "I have no idea ... there is no reason to."

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...