Acer Aspire 5741G Bios Recovery

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by suramix, Mar 7, 2011.

1. suramix

suramix MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2011
    #1 suramix, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
    During the BIOS update to the new version NEW70119.FD something was wrong an error occur and now my laptop don't boot and has a black screen :(.This updated was supposed to solve a problem with the integrated web cam which has never run in good condition.I had tried to recover with Crisis usb disk but no any changing.Pls help!
    Laptop specs.: core i5 520m, 4 gb ddram, geforce 320m with 1 gb dedicated video memory, 500 gb hdd

UPDATE:
    After 10 days I was able to recover this laptop.If somebody has the same problem you must download from ACER website the latest version of BIOS update (v.1.20), extract with winrar and from the dos folder copy FLAs**t.EXE and NEW70120.FD into a FAT formatted usb key up to 2GB.Rename NEW70120.FD to NEW70x64.FD.
    Plug usb storage into usb port, press FN+ESC buttons then plug AC power.The power should flashes once.Press Power button to initiate BIOS recovery procedure.When complete the laptop auto restart with a workable BIOS.

2. a4403

a4403 MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2011
    Thank you you are a live saver :worthy:

3. Kojos

Kojos MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2011
    Thank you Suramix, god bless you....just want to add that this results when burning it to a cd....

Once again..... thank you :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

4. mmccaghrey

mmccaghrey MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2011
    Thanks to Surimax and step by step instructions

Thanks Surimax. With your help and calming influence I have got my laptop working again. However based on my observations and googling around when I couldn't work out why your steps didn't seem to work for me I have updated your instructions to help others like me. Please add to this list or amend it if I have made any mistakes or more clarification is required.

1. On your bricked laptop (failed BIOS update) remove all cables including power cable and also the battery. DON'T reconnect the power yet.

2. Format a USB Stick using EASEUS excellent and free Partition Manager (or another partition manger of your choosing) so that you have one 512MB FAT32 partition and nothing else on the stick. It does not matter what size the stick is (mine was 4GB), but it seems that the total size of the first partition must be less than 2GB.

3. Download the latest version of your BIOS (or the old one if you wish) from Acer's website. The files are Zipped. Go down into the DOS folder and extract the .FD file (mine was NEW70123.fd) onto the USB stick. This is the only file you need. You don't need FLAs**t.

4. Rename the file NEW70x64.fd. (Googling around it is not clear whether this step is necessary, but having done it and got my laptop back I am not going to brick the thing again just to test the recovery process with the original file name! :)). However there seems some uncertainty if the x64 refers to x64 chipsets.

5. Plug the USB stick into your bricked laptop.

6. Press the FN and ESC keys together and keep on pressing during the next two steps.

7. Reinsert the power cable and then press the power button.

8. When the fan starts up the USB stick will flash for a second or so showing it is being read. However nothing will appear on the screen, and my stick didn't do anything else, so I began to think nothing was happening.

9. After a few minutes (mine must have been less than 15, I had gone away to find out other solutions because I thought it had failed), it will reboot as normal.

Hope this helps and thanks to everyone who posted here and elsewhere. Without your advice I would have a very expensive doorstop.:eek:

Mark

5. andreadox

andreadox MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2011
    excuse me but how do i find .fd files into dos? i really don't know what to do! please help me!

6. kamran91

kamran91 MDL Novice

May 12, 2012
    I had the same problem

i did the same as said here but mines is taking to much time i think its already an hour . what shall i do ? should i try it again .

7. kamran91

kamran91 MDL Novice

May 12, 2012
    it worked , thank you again again .

8. pijkcdk

pijkcdk MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2013
    acer5741 bios update

what did you do differently for it to work? did you simply wait longer or tried again

9. zizo1980

zizo1980 MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2013
    thank you very much you helped me alot

thank you you r great

10. ADONIS69

ADONIS69 MDL Novice

Jun 10, 2013
    hey guys, mine is taking more than an hour. What do you suggest? To wait until it finish?

11. ADONIS69

ADONIS69 MDL Novice

Jun 10, 2013
    How much time it took you in order to finish?

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    clean your ram golden contacts with a pencil eraser and try again.

13. nicksat85

nicksat85 MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2014
    i have also an aspire 5741G i3 4GB RAM 64bit os win7 and gpu ati radeon mobile hd 5740 512MB
    i've made the update and everything looks grate. But some hours later the same problem rise up. booting , windows logo , login.... stuck
    Same problem on my second os, ubuntu.

If i go to safe mode my laptop still working but i can see red lines on my screen... like a raster.

any idea?

14. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    Ram issue or video chip need resolder (reflow on YouTube)

15. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    If you have the right RAM and carried out your memtest without finding any error and there is no report of problem with your hard disk, I would advice you re-seat your microprocessor properly and apply thermal paste.