Acer Aspire 8920G modded bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by secr9tos, Aug 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    #1 secr9tos, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017

Attached Files:

2. ecperez

ecperez MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    can someone help ulpoad the modified bios to a different server like rapidshare or megaupload, thank you very much.

3. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    added megaupload link

4. Sylvester

Sylvester MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2008
    well the Bios worked, and Windows 7 was activated. Unfortunately I have one problem now, my SN and UUID were replaced with 1234567890123456 and 01010.... is there any way to restore the original Data?

5. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    I know that cause I have the same here but I don't know what is causing it! All I did was replacing the orginal acer slic table 2.0 with hp 2.1 and changed RSDT and XSDT to the new table id and oem id.

6. addy2k

addy2k MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2009
    Hi Folks. First of all a big thank you for doing all this work and modding all those BIOSes for people like me.

I have two questions and I hope someone could answer them. Does the above mentioned Problem with wrong UUID and SN affect the normal operation of my Notebook? And is there a way to recover the factory state of the Notebook in case I need to send it in for repair.

Second question is, the BIOS that was postet by parasxos, is this safe to use or could it brick my Book? I searched the whole web for hours now, but wasn´t able to find this BIOS Version for this Notebook, so I´m a bit feared about flashing it an have nothing left than an expensive paperweight.

Thanks in advance addy2k

7. parasxos

parasxos MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    i dont remember, i know that sounds strange thats why i uploaded also the original BIOS i based on.
    And it was strange also for me that i couldnt find this from an official acer site but i checked it before i modded it and all the info inside BIOS was about 8920, you can check it for yourself with phoenix BIOS editor 2.2.1.3.
    So i took the risk and worked fine for me. If someone is afraid it is up to him.

I have to mention that the UUID and SN was something like 1234567879 also with this BIOS but this doesnt affect at all the normal operation, I dont know what will happen with your guarantee but i believe that if you flash the normal 1.14 from the site it will be again like untouched.

addy2k if you finally decide to flash your BIOS please send feedback

8. addy2k

addy2k MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2009
    Ok. Thanks parasxos for the information. In fact I´m willing to flash this BIOS, but i need some additional Information. What programm will I use to flash the BIOS (the Windows thing included in the official Acer Updates or any kind of DOS based Tool)?

Also, if I have to use a DOS Tool for flashing, which one should I use and do I have to provide additional Parameters for the flash?

What is the difference between flashing from Windows and flashing from DOS doesn´t it have the same result in the end, and if so, what would be the difference?

If anything goes wrong, is there a way to recover a working BIOS in this Notebook? I read something about using an USB Floppy with some Files on it and pressing FN+ESC while turning the book on. Does this apply to this model of Notebook?

Thank you in advance

addy2k

9. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
  10. parasxos

parasxos MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    hey addy,

everything you will need is linked in the first post of secr9tos. so use this command given in the previous post, that worked also for me, for keeping your SN and UUID.
    You will be surprised how easy it is! ;)

Hopefully, I didnt use the recovery procedures yet but AFAIK if you keep untouched the boot-block it is certain you will recover it. there is a thread about these procedures and it is very comprehensive, just in case.

11. addy2k

addy2k MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2009
    So if I use "PH161700.EXE BIOS.WPH /O /Force /X /C /S" it will erase SN/UUID and I use the recovery method mentioned above?

If it´s the /O option that causes the serial etc. to dissapear, can I just leave that option out ("PH161700.EXE BIOS.WPH /Force /X /C /S"), or does that option serve another purpose and must be included?

What do you both mean by leave the Bootblock untouched? Does the program ask me if I want to mess with it, or how could i (e.g. accidently) destroy it?

Sorry for all this noobish questions, but I´m one of these persons that want to understand what they are doing and be some kind of "safe" with it.

Thanks in advance

addy2k

12. addy2k

addy2k MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2009
    First of all sorry for double posting but editing didn´t work right.

I finally decided to flash the BIOS. I used the above mentioned 1.14 with Acer SLIC 2.1.
    It flashed without problems and W7 activation works perfectly. Thanks for all your work and help.

BTW. theres one more question I have. Is it possible to activate Vista with SLIC 2.1 present in BIOS? If so, which certificate will I use and which key?

13. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    The problem is that acer slic 2.1 is not backwards compatible. I tend to the answer that it won't work..

14. mookill

mookill MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2009
    anychance if the BIOS can be enabled for VT?

15. addy2k

addy2k MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2009
    I think this means, if I would recover my factory default via D2D recovery, it would result in an unactivated Vista Home Premium.

If I wanted to recover to TRUE factory condition, I would have to flash the original 1.14 from Acer page, and the do the recovery. Do I get that right? If not, what would be the correct way?

16. norm

norm MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    Is it necessary to update the bios? I have done a fresh install of W7 on my 8920g and so far have experienced no problems. Is there a problem with W7 on bios 1.14?

TIA

17. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    well there is no problem with the orginal 1.14 bios but is does not include slic 2.1.

18. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Any of you know about Acer Aspire 5920G: if there are necessary modifications to the latest BIOS [3813] to be made etc., please?

I am still gathering info about flashing it and installing W7 etc. on it.

Can I just:
    -install W7,
    -leave the BIOS be and
    -use Daz, omdhar, anemeros or Hazar proggy to activate it?

Updates from M$ website possible after that... or not - as in "use only the updates that are deemed safe by the community here"?

:confused:

Thanx!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...