Acer Aspire 8920G modded bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by secr9tos, Aug 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mak

mak MDL Novice

May 12, 2007
    #21 mak, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
    secr9tos THANX for this, IT WORKS for me , I lost my S/N though :( the recovery in DOS is not working :confused: it is given error at
    (22 alphanumeric characters)

could u please explain if this recovery works on the mod BIOS or it should be on original v1.14

2. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Strange, can you explain what type of error you get? And yes, do that for the modded bios.

3. mak

mak MDL Novice

May 12, 2007
    I figure' it out dear :D

phlash16 bios.wph /MODE=3 /DSS:22 alphanumeric characters /UUID

NO bracts for the 22 alphanumeric characters and no space after DSS:

THANX to ALL posted ...... Thread OK 10/10

:)

4. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    glad to hear. Have fun with Win7 OEM.

5. komma

komma MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2009
    #25 komma, Dec 2, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
    Hi all,

In reply of previous post about BIOS version 1.15:
    Now the new BIOS for 8920g is also on the official ACER website, see:
    (at the new support site, not the FTP!)
    hxxp://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.15_A_A.zip?acerid=633947984058050243&Step1=Notebook&Step2=Aspire&Step3=Aspire8920G&OS=V10&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=EMEA_8

can somebody make this slic2.1 ?

BTW: also Windows7 drivers have been added!

6. parasxos

parasxos MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    it is the same as in the first page... finally i was correct!

7. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    I'll think about it or use the on posted somewhere in this thread ( I think page 2 )

8. komma

komma MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2009
    #28 komma, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Hi parasxos & secr9tos! thanks for your great work.

I'm quite hesitant to flash my bios (I really, really don't want to brick my Acer!) so i did some investigating on this board. Here are my findings:

I found 2 versions over the v1.14 slic2.1-Acer bios for the 8920G:
    - by Secr9tos in this post
    - by Busykid508 in the phoenix request thread. (link:hxxp://forums.mydigitallife.net/posts/162658?highlight=8920g#post162658)
    Doing a file compare between the original v1.14 and these files I found that the Busykid508 slic2.1 only has a initial 5 byte different (excluding de SLIC2.1 part) whilst secr9tos has many more differences.

Regarding the v1.15 Bios.
    Using the now available Phoenix bios slic2.1 tool (on this forum, link: hxxp://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/13194) I made my own version of a v1.15 slic2.1 bios (dynamic mode, default settings)
    I then also compared the Parasxos v1.15 slic2.1 BIOS and mine with the original. My version (using the same tool from Busykid508) now also shows only a 5 byte difference in the BIOS (and of course the SLIC part). Parasxos version has many more differences.

I was hoping they would come out exactly the same!
    How can this be explained? Seems like the Busykid508 tool causes far less alterations. And the questions is: does this matter?
    Parasxos, i assume you are using the bios you modified yourself...
    Having any problems with that?

Any other users using a modded bios?
    Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I would rather be sure before I start flashing....and I can't choose between the bios I made using the phoenix tool or the version by Parasxos. This is driving me crazy :D

9. maki70a

maki70a MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2010
    thank you for the mods boys..nicely done working great!!!

10. mak

mak MDL Novice

May 12, 2007
    Hi secr9tos bios 1.16 is out, that will Fixes media console hang up problem. could you please consider adding your magic bits :D

thanks for your great work

11. mak

mak MDL Novice

May 12, 2007
    #34 mak, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
    Great...\ will try that... any hints apart of what had been mentioned before is it hp or Acer slic table also d SN issue?...

thanks

12. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    It includes acer 2.1 slic. Some pages before is the correct flashing command line to solve SN issue

13. Angelorpheus

Angelorpheus MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2011
    ther's any chance to change bios to support overclocking?

14. Alcatrazx

Alcatrazx MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2008
    #37 Alcatrazx, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
    I don't know if this is related but my 8920g died on me :( Today while working on my machine ... I went to restart it and I was welcomed with a black screen, hard drives and all work well but I don't get to the POST screen. Also the power button still works (4 secs hold turns off) ... .... I had installed a modded bios and it worked fine for over a year ago so I am not blaming the modded bios but I really would appreciate any pointers as to what it might be and no I checked the video card / ram / hard drive CPU already.

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Can you try to reinstall? During the procedure, when you start, are you getting anything on the screen?

Maybe it's the graphics card?

Btw, I had to change my keyboard and in so doing I had to disconnect it from the laptop. While learning how to do that, I damaged one of the plastic grips of the connecting, flat cable. When I re-attached it somehow, I messed up the full connectivity and now I am powering it up on the right, vertical column on buttons, the top one. Go figure. But if works...

Good luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Alcatrazx

Alcatrazx MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2008
    #39 Alcatrazx, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
    Hi thanks for reply but

- The laptop has never been tampered with
    - has never moved away from the desk
    - was never on batter (always worked on AC)
    - lid never closed or opened

I also have an external monitor connected to it and nothing is displayed. The computer does power up but after the devices initialise themselves ... nothing happens and it does not get to the ACER bios screen either. Tried to blind flash with crisdisk the last night but to no success. I don't think its the gfx card for one reason .... I pressed restart from windows 7 .... and on restart the POST screen did not turn up ... it's like the firmware f**ked up and it got stuck somewhere... Had no signs in advance that a component was about to fail ... for e.g. gfx cards before failing would display all sorts of bogus and colours on screen ....Memory would generate a lot of BSOD's so does the CPU and the hard drive.... never had a single BSOD on this otherwise excellent machine..... Didn't manage to get the Blind Flash to work

I would appreciate if anyone could pm me. It's too bad to scrap the machine so i'll go for repair or replacement if it's impossible to reflash the thing.

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I am a lay person but...

1) You could try to re-flash BIOS, with a newer version...

2) You can try installing Ubuntu, just to discard Windows faulty installation.

3) If all goes well install Win7 and then Ubuntu and dual boot should give you a wee bit more security in such situations...

Good luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...