Acer Aspire TC-866 Desktop UEFI Admin Unlock

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by goldfingerfif, Nov 28, 2020.

1. goldfingerfif

goldfingerfif MDL Novice

Apr 7, 2011
    Computer has NVME Windows 10 but trying to boot a SATA hard drive 32bit windows 7 legacy hard drive. Unfortunately the option for legacy boot (CSM) is grayed out and doesn't recognize the drive to boot.

If I convert the drive from MBR to GPT and write a UEFI boot it then recognizes it and lets me boot from it but a a 32bit windows 7 pre sp1 will not boot from a GPT drive.

I am not sure how to get to Admin / Debug Mode as I have seen others use it to unlock it or if it has to be unlocked and flashed.

I've tried holding control, tab, esc, etc before pressing delete to go to UEFI settings, and tried pressing in there as well, disabling any security, setting password, etc. nothing works.

CPUz tells me it is an AMI Bios/UEFI

I used AMI tool to backup the bios and will upload it tomorrow if needed.

I am not looking for anyone to do the footwork as I am willing and capable but if it is easier by all means. I was thinking if I could decompile in Hex Rays IDA to see key commands I could hold to see if there is some Admin/Debug mode.

Photobucket album since I don't have 5 posts but 4 pictures are:

BIOS Chips I assume. Looks like it has a 32bit and 64bit one, 64bit one is in some kind of easy solderless holder.

My BIOS / UEFI showing model number and serial as well as Bios version.

Top 5 options grayed out and unable to access without any success

Acer has a BIOS Update "Support 20H1" and doubtful Legacy/CSM would be enabled.

app.photobucket.com/u/mazdaklze/a/923b70f8-3195-49e8-a4d7-1fc02fb3d641

Thank you to anyone who can help.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #2 kaljukass, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NoTears

NoTears MDL Member

Aug 24, 2020
    #3 NoTears, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Did you disable secure boot ?

if so, you can try UEFISeven project which was conceived for the purpose of installing win7 on pure UEFI but it does not work on all machines. You can test the project and see if you will be able to install it on your machine but you will have to install win7 64 bit architecture and not 32 bit.

The project is available on win7 thread.

4. goldfingerfif

goldfingerfif MDL Novice

Apr 7, 2011
    Yes, secure boot and TPM is disabled.

I cannot change the windows 7 version as unsure on compatibility and don't have the software to reinstall it as it is Hunter software for their alignment machines for alignment of vehicles. If I could just enable the legacy boot I would be good to go.

5. NoTears

NoTears MDL Member

Aug 24, 2020
    #5 NoTears, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Yes if legacy boot could be enabled, things would be much easier for you.
    Maybe @Serg008 can help you with a modded bios which will hopefully allow you to use Legacy bios.

6. NoTears

NoTears MDL Member

Aug 24, 2020
  7. NoTears

NoTears MDL Member

Aug 24, 2020
    i meant after finding and integrating all the necessary drivers that you mentionned into the win7 x64 iso with a modded bios to switch CSM to enabled.

8. Serg008

Serg008 MDL BIOS/EFI Guru

Feb 23, 2010
    The Launch CSM parameter in your BIOS can be switched to either "Always" or "Never", and the Boot filter to "Legacy" or "UEFI".
    (open your BIOS file with AMIBCP 5.x and check

9. Serg008

Serg008 MDL BIOS/EFI Guru

Feb 23, 2010
    ...USB 3.x, SATA, Video, M.2 drivers...
    enhanced version of Win7 system - a traditional Win7 image with the above drivers injected into it

10. goldfingerfif

goldfingerfif MDL Novice

Apr 7, 2011
    Thank you I was unaware there were chipset driver issues with the USB 3.x, SATA, Video, etc.

I guess I will have to find another older computer to insert this hard drive into that supports 32bit legacy mode for windows 7.

I am unable to upgrade or change the version of windows as the 32 bit version of windows 7 is on a SATA hard drive from a computer that motherboard or processor died.
    It is the computer that controls a machine like this one
    hunter.com/alignment-machines/standard-alignment/

I have done a similar process in the past to get the system going by putting the hard drive into another computer. I do not have any software discs or keys so I cannot reinstall any software.
    Hunter wants over $1,000 to replace the motherboard (Intel DH55PJ) and processor (i3-530) which is absolutely insane for 10 year old technology.

I guess I will have to find another slightly older computer to insert the hard drive into.