Acer Revo R3610 SLIC 2.1

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by suggestable, Nov 6, 2009.

1. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Thanks for info. I don't think I'll need the WiFi card in the Revo after Xmas. But, I might grab one for my Asipre One. Can you remember which model you got ?

From what i've read on Forums and in the User Guides, I think your right.

Thats exactly what I did. I've got Windows 7 x64 installed, couldn't use the extra RAM. So I swapped the second 2GB stick, for the 1GB stick in my Aspire One. Which maxed that out nicely. :D

Again this is exactly what i've done. I've flashed 3 Linux R3600's with the Windows A2 BIOS, which adds a useable 2.0 SLIC for Vista and the SLP for WinXP. On my own i've then modded that with a 2.1 SLIC. :D

2. zerthr

zerthr MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2010
    Does anyone know where we can get the 8C8A1D02.ROM bios jpr233 mentioned?

It would allow overclocking of the Revo through the bios

3. jpr233

jpr233 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    All of you had on your revo the bios for R3600 and clones' OC, but you did not know.
    Give a try, as everything is not necessarily lost.

This bios is at ~80% of 160Gb disk, somewhat sheltered from the writings of your data.
    And only occupy 1/160.000th of the disk ...

Precisely, D02 bios start sector number will be found after a search result for A.pisum EST EX637959 description.
    In CHS data, beginning CYL number can be found within title after another search of Wk 1465 IGLOS Final Orbits REPORT,
    head and sector for A System to Calculate Market Value-at-Risk Using Monte.

I let you decide which tool to use to restore those precious bytes.
    Hiren Boot CD' Prosoft Media tool will do, also TestDisk if you have not overwritten too much of your upper disk.

Good hunting , google is your friend.

4. mainecrab

mainecrab MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2008
    Can you post the bios? It looks like you are posting some advertising with your post, I cannot make heads or tails of your cryptic writings. Im sure many of us do not have the save partition so this would not be possible without ruining our current installation.
    Thats kind of mean. Can you post the bios yourself? I dont have the sy
    Thats kind of mean
    That

5. jpr233

jpr233 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    @mainecrab

you should better read again slowly...

6. mainecrab

mainecrab MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2008
    head 173
    sector 30

Well thanks anyways

7. jpr233

jpr233 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    @maincrab,

Pay attention using CYL : you miss-typed the value by 1, do the check again.
    But i you access with HD physical sector (ie LBA), you have plenty of chance to get it...so..

8. mainecrab

mainecrab MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2008
    I have already removed the recovery partition that was on the disk and have created new ones any old partition is not identified on the disk. I cannot recovery anything from the sector location start is not there.

9. mainecrab

mainecrab MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2008
    I found it Thanks. Nice puzzle.

10. jpr233

jpr233 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
  11. mainecrab

mainecrab MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2008
    jpr233:

I had to use Windows XP from Hiren to flash. I tried from windows 7 on the desktop installed but it would crash. I tried as such from XP:

AFUDOS 963A1P06.ROM /x

I changed the flash bat file to enter the bios name and the options. It would write perfectly, and then verify fine. on reboot it would beep once one more time then two fast beeps. I was able to recover with current bios on flash as AMIBOOT.ROM

I did not try with the /c option. I will backup as you have said tonight and try with the C option.

Mainecrab

12. jpr233

jpr233 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
  13. mainecrab

mainecrab MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2008
    There is a post beep then nothing on the screen. Then three beeps they are not in unison though. One beep for post, one more beep then two fast beeps. Looking at the AMI bios beeps it says about the memory but I changed the stick as well to be sure and used other slot and even both slots to be sure without any boot. Clearing the CMOS with the jumper did not help as well. I believe it is likely the VGA since the ION LE is in the R1600 and 3600 has ION. What is weird is new bios in the information shows the Desktop as 3610 even though it is not. Reading documents the only difference is that LE is for XP without directx 10 but this can be hacked in drivers to enable it, so I wonder what is real difference in the hardware. Looking at the pictures of the motherboard in which Revo is reviewed that has this older bios the motherboard and revision are exactly the same as mine. I am not sure how to change bios settings with MMTool. Wifi should not matter as that can be added or replaced and should not effect boot.

Mainecrab

14. jpr233

jpr233 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    #35 jpr233, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
    That's like it is ION LE (or ION 1.1) the downgrade bios problem.

R6000'D02 and upto P06 have a 20 pci vga rom driver witch seems paired to ION, ie are not ION LE aware.

Starting with R6000' P09, and R1600 P05 and R1600+3610 P06, the "20" pci vga rom driver is same and contains both PID for ION (087D) and ION LE (087E), sequence is (ascii) : NVROM..............4................o...............hornet-0x87d.rom.......................hornet-0x87e.rom.............~....8..l..

So it could be a proof of the VGA driver problem if you can test downgrading your R1600 bios to R3600 P06 (or P05 or ... P01), and point to the same black screen and 2 beeps error... and not with R3600 P09 ! I think P06 is still avaible on acer R3600 bios download site, aside P09 latest one.

If right, then hope switching D02'20 pci vga rom driver to the late one R6000' P09, or R1600 P05 or R1600+3610 P06 (all sized B0C4) could be a way to retrofit D02 for R1600 and R3610 usage. Perhaps not enough, but at least a way to ...

Other way could be to export 1B + 21 D02 modules to R1600/3610 latest bios (with modded MMTOOL that support 1B + 21 update, google it)...

15. mainecrab

mainecrab MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2008
    I tried both ways that you gave the second way made the computer boot but only the fan spins fast and I am pretty sure the only way to recover at this time would be to program the bios chip. I think this endevor is at its end.

Thanks

16. mainecrab

mainecrab MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2008
    I think that I downloaded the wrong module for replacing module in bios. I did buy SPI Programmer off Ebay to fix it when it gets there to normal bios. Maybe would have worked if I used the correct software to create new ROM image for write. The first one at least gave the same effect of beeps and allowed me to restore normal bios, so did not think would have caused issue. Oh well since I will have the programmer and can then recover even after most terrible disaster I might still carry on.

Thanks for your help

17. jpr233

jpr233 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    #38 jpr233, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
    Hi Mainecrab,

Don't know if you already tried the R3600's 8C8A1p09.rom "downgrade" as success?
    And found faulty with the same 2 beeps for the R3600 8C8A1p06.rom (same VGA driver as 8C8A1d02.rom, possibly ION-LE UNaware)?

In the next steps, the first mod should allow easier recovery, as it does only exchange vga bios without logic or location impact in POST/Setup/NVRAM/CMOS sequences.
    Last mod may need more CMOS VRAM synchro flashing options if the R1600 & 3610 BIOSes do not contain anymore the parts of previous D02 code & data (as hope for hidden submenus made not selectable but still complete here).
    Bios programming skills may also be needed, at least disassembly be a must.
    Some tools like AMICMOS and AMISCE doesnt work on my imax mini, I have to understand why the variables' script and map cannot be extracted (to be compared and analyze risk).

Now for your R1600, as you say that you have a speedy fan at powerup, it sounds like POST stopped to run (it should have slow down fan within 2 or 3 seconds, then beep and send to screen).
    And neither AMIBOOT.ROM recovery boot nor VGA display & enter Setup can now occur.
    So you are right, the only solution will be to SPI-flash the socketed MX25L8005 bios chip, the only way to unbrick that revo for a running POST.
    I ordered one on ebay to debug how to re-dump such chip. We should keep in touch for that chip recovery...
    and try more in the future with anybody here with some modding bios knowledge !

At least, it's a stable 2.3Ghz atom challenge for 230/330, as it goes on these days for the hp mini compaq 311c with same Oc range for N270 !

Cheers

18. mainecrab

mainecrab MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2008
    I got the bios programmer and recovered the bios so the computer boots. Yeah I am gonna try again.

Mainecrab

19. Webthistle

Webthistle MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    I have just purchased an Acer Aspire Revo R3610 (Linux version).

The latest bios, version: P01-A4 (963A1P06.ROM), is available from Acer Support.

Please note, this bios is Slic 2.1 enabled.

After flashing the bios I have successfully installed and activated W7.

This little desktop is working great with 2 gigs of ram.

I hope this is of some help.

Kind regards