Acer Revo R3610 SLIC 2.1

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by suggestable, Nov 6, 2009.

1. mainecrab

mainecrab MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2008
    Webthistle: What was your process? I am not able to do it with the stock bios.

2. Ron1958

Ron1958 MDL Junior Member

Feb 21, 2010
    What does the bios upgrdae or hack give You if installed? Mine came with the 2.1slic already in it.

3. spiggot

spiggot MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2010
    Does anyone know if 8C8A1D02.ROM will definitely work on a R3610?

I don't really want to swap out the stock 2GB for faster RAM, but this means I can only go so far with OCtuner due to the locked ratio. I'm sure the CPU could be pushed harder if I could clock the RAM separately as jpr has done.

jpr only mentions doing this on a different 230, it would be good to know someone has this early BIOS running on a R3610 before I go and brick my new Revo. If there's a problem I don't want to have to hope the recovery mode is working ok to get back to my current working BIOS.

4. xbyte

xbyte MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2009
    #46 xbyte, Mar 24, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
    Hello!
    I wanted to put the 8C8A1D02.ROM from this thread in my bios of my r3600 (windows version) , i have deleted all partitions on the harddrive becouse im using linux on it.
    I did`nt bother making a boot disk so i opened up the revo and read out the serial eeprom chip and saved the orginal file, i then burned in the 8C8A1D02.ROM and placed it back into the box, but box refused to start ( one initial beep then 3 short ones)

I then tried to put back the orginal eeprom content, but its still the same. anyone have an idea why my orginal bios content want boot my revo now ?

I then downloaded the latest bios from acer 8C8A1P09.ROM and wrote into the serial eeprom, i now get the usuall initial long beep + 2 short beeps, if i try to compare
    the code after i have powered on the box, i can now see that the content from $EC000 has changed.

looks like the nvram is stored inside this serial eprom from $E0000 to $F0000 , can anyone confirm this ?

I have tried clear the nvram with the jumper but it did not make any difference, anyone has any ideas ?
    i also did a complete erase of the serial eeprom before updating it.

Regards
    Kim

5. jpr233

jpr233 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    #47 jpr233, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
    @ everyone still here

So far :

<> R3600 can be downgraded to 8C8A1D02.ROM to OC A230 up to 2,32 Ghz (memory 880 Mhz).
    <> R3600 can run R3610 A4 packaged bios so oem activate 7

but

<> any other cross or reverse flash lead to a breaking POST :
    - either recovered via AMIBOOT.ROM on fat16 normal blank usb key,
    - or, depending flash options used, requiring SPI reprog of the socketed bios eeprom.

So, if you want to possibly revert a bad flash (bad rom mod, bad rom up/downgrade, bad rom flash options) :

1. you will ever have to take a full save/dump of your initial working bios : that dump differs from stock mfg download as the dump carry your DMI unique parameters from factory that can allow any further full (aka "all") flash needed

2. Xbyte initial bios save method leading to misadventure in restore means bios eeprom and can follow unknown secured or synchro rules, so it should be safier to only work with AFUDOS as "logic" flasher and its options to read/write specific areas only.

-> also AFUDOS in DOS boot which seems the cleaner option, better (for me) than a win or win/cmd exec.

Goals :

The challenge is yet to try to run the OC features of 8C8A1D02 (main modules) with latest vga or hardware.

As it has been done for the 311c insyde bios, it can be still a very educationnal project... And give potential extra time to the configuration
    (specially gamers).

... I will try to get back for some more tests within the next 30 days ...

@Xbyte

The only way seems now to install a friend bios chip and see if it runs again...

Have you done any progress ? Have you saved any SIW/CPUZ reports (as they contains all the DMI data,
    except HDCP key...) for any further recovery by modding a new dump with old parameters to program eeprom again
    on your own chip ?

@all

Any news (3,7G usable ..)?

Cheers...

6. PhilUK

PhilUK MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2009
    #49 PhilUK, May 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  7. the sultan

the sultan MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2010
    Update to latest BIOS (R01.A2) before updating with SLIC 2.1 modded one.

On R3610, I used USB stick to boot into DOS to update BIOS - it would sometimes fail, so keep trying... The process for R3600 should be same.

T.

8. smallone

smallone MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2010
    On AFUWIN there is a box under Miscellaneous called "Do Not Check ROM ID" tick that box

9. andrews

andrews MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    I've got an Acer Revo AR1600 and I updated to the latest BIOS from Acer's site. SLIC 2.1 was already in it.

10. effelle

effelle MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2012
    Hi there,
    I know this is an ooooooold thread but I bought a 3610 linux version already with the latest bios P01-A4 (not the L version) 963A1P06.ROM and I really would like to try the 8C8A1D02.ROM bios with overclocking settings.
    I found a couple of links but only for megaupload, so no luck for me till now... Someone could gently drive me to right way?

Thanks!

11. effelle

effelle MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2012
    Thread dead? No one has the[FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]8C8A1D02 bios? :(

12. donjeuw

donjeuw MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2010
    #55 donjeuw, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. effelle

effelle MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2012
    Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

How did you resolve the fan speed issue? You added an external knob? The level noise it's really high in my Revo...
    You have "just" a random reboot problem or happens in a specific situation?

Federico

14. donjeuw

donjeuw MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2010
    #57 donjeuw, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    Actually, I was hoping to put a passive cooler to the Revo but I didn't have much time to think of a home made one (as there is no aftermarket cooler available for Atom). And the boot issue was too annoying, as far as I remember, My Revo wouldn't come back from hibernate mode, and when completely switched off, I couldn't boot properly for the first time, I had to crach my computer 1 or 2 times befor it would start, a real nightmare, lol. So many drawbacks that I came back to the latest official bios from Acer 963A1P06.
    But I haven't clarified what was really wrong yet, so don't take it for granted, I suggest you try it on your own, there are nearly no risks, as I tried this bios two times and got back again to original bios from acer.

What I would like to do is better understand how bioses work and investigates if there are hidden options to unlock in "frequency/voltage control" tab in R3610's official bios, and I guess there are, as in this kind of tabs you find everything related to overclocking. That would grant me a clean bios, with more options, I have a dream ^^

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. effelle

effelle MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2012
    Hi Donjeuw,

I tried the Bios but my Revo become unstable even without change the FSB. I'm back to the official Bios and everything goes well now. Curiously the name of the archive I downloaded is "BIOS_ACER_P01.A4_Windows_Aspire R1600". I think it's the last one available.
    There are so many people involved in Bios development here on mydigitallife forum, perhaps someone could try to discovery the hidden options...This is obviously my dream too! Hehehe!

16. donjeuw

donjeuw MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2010
    Perhaps you could post a thread asking for a modded bios (if so I'd be grateful if you would post me a link to the topic), as for me I'll be looking further at AMIBCP to try unhide options, I'll update the topic if I ever find a solution with this "frequency/voltage control" tab ^^

17. misiozol

misiozol MDL Novice

May 26, 2016
    So 10 years later :D , any one have those files with bios ? trying to install 4GB of ram if possible ;)