acer travelmate 7720

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by throbber, May 13, 2011.

1. throbber

throbber MDL Addicted

Mar 13, 2008
    hi guys hope some one can help my with this.
    i bought the laptop second hand a couple a months ago. came with vista so i flashed the bios to slic 2.1 to run win7.
    everthings been fine until last week when it suddenly just shut down....and thats it:(
    if i push the power button the hdd light flashs twice. you can hear the dvd drive click and the cpu fan spin and stop.then the power light stays on for 5 seconds and it shuts down???. it wont even get to the bios.
    tryed another hdd,ram......still the same.any advice/ ideas??

2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #2 zahnoo, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
    It may be stating the obvious, but have you checked battery condition with a Volt/Ohm meter or tried to boot with the charger attached? Sounds to me like a complete battery failure or some component that gets power to the internals or maybe a charger failure and the battery never gets charged.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. throbber

throbber MDL Addicted

Mar 13, 2008
    iv not checked battery condition but iv checked the charger with a v.meter and thats ok.
    iv tryed with just the battery
    battery and charger attached.
    and just the charger attached.....and its still the same.

4. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #4 zahnoo, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
    Check the battery after the full time recommended to completely charge it. If it checks out at full voltage, and holds that voltage for 24 hours sitting idle, I'd suspect you have a power problem related to some internal.

Not knowing what you paid for it but knowing this is a used machine, how much continued effort is it worth? If the battery checks out OK, you could pull the drive and try it somewhere else. If it's OK, then you have a failed internal and fixing that will likely cost more to repair than the unit is worth. But that of course is your call.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    If you can't boot with just the charger plugged in then you most likely have some sort of hardware failure.
    - The charger has an issue and is not providing enough power or;
    - The board failed or;
    - The video failed or;
    - faulty lcd or;
    - Memory failed or;
    - Processor failed, most unlikely.
    Take it to a service center would be best option.