Acer V3-731-4854, can't reset bios password?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by tewan, Sep 8, 2014.

1. tewan

tewan MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2011
    I am trying to remove a bios password that mysteriously appeared on an Acer V3-731-4854 and have had no luck in doing so.

I've tried:

Removing the CMOS battery, shorting the plugs and turning on
    Shorting jumpers under 2nd DIMM of ram when turning on
    Using CmosPwd to recover password (however I did not kill the CMOS as I'm afraid to brick it)
    Flashing over BIOS with updated BIOS from Acer (note: Windows 7 was working up to this point but now no longer does.)

I am unable to boot to the hard drive or a Windows 8 installation USB drive to install Windows 8 over the current Windows 7. I've had success booting to an Ubuntu USB drive.

2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    have u recover ur bios password ? if yes then set bios to default and try again. have u any message when u try to boot from w7 ? give us feedback.

3. tewan

tewan MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2011
    If I try to get in to BIOS I am greeted with an "Enter Current Password: " dialog. If I type in the wrong password I get "Password check Fail!! Press any key" and if I try 3 times I receive "System will halt!! Press any key" then get pushed to a black screen with a solid _ cursor.

If I try to boot normally, I get "No Bootable Device, Hit any key. [Ok]" then get pushed to the Boot Manager with no boot options. When I hit escape, I get a black screen that says "No bootable device -- Please restart system"

I have already verified that the hard drive does indeed work and is bootable in other systems.

Every time I clear the CMOS, I get nothing on-screen that verifies this but I know for a fact that it should have cleared (various hardware cues that demonstrates it has). I tried multiple different methods (not only those above).

4. tewan

tewan MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2011
    Alright, I am able to boot to an external copy of Windows 8, I am trying to flash the BIOS again with a modified platform.ini file however it seems like every time I modify it to allow flashing of the same version it miraculously uses a different platform.ini file and names it platforms.ini. I've modified this as well and it just overwrites it. Tried read only to no avail as well.

Downloaded another version of InsydeFlash and tried that as well to no avail. Any thoughts? I'm at a loss.

5. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Then contact Acer support :(

6. tewan

tewan MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2011
    I've gotten to the point where I can try to flash the BIOS but gives me an error saying that you are only able to flash a secure bios. Is there someone able to mod the BIOS for me that would allow for flashing? This seems to be my only hope now.