Acer v5-531 Factory Bios Password (locked from the factory, constantly changing hint)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Lithium543, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Lithium543

Lithium543 MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2011
    I had a client (little 80 year old man) come in, and want Windows 7 installed on his Windows 8 notebook. It's an Acer V5-571. It has bios password. He said he never set one (or he doesn't remember). It strange because when you go enter it, it's got a hint of a random string of alphanumeric characters, and each time you fail the password check, the machine locks, and you have to reboot it. When you try again, the hint characters change.

I tried upgrading the bios, no effect. I can't boot from a Dos Flash drive to try and downgrade the bios to a non Windows 8 version, as Acer provides both. I tried shorting the G2201 pins under the ram like the service manual said, and no effect. I can always take the machine apart and remove the bios battery, but if the pin short didn't work, I'm inclined to think popping the battery won't work either. I checked with Acer's Indian chat lackeys, and they said I'd have to return the machine to the factory on the customer's dime.

Does anyone have any thoughts here?