Acrobat X

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by wizsand, Oct 18, 2010.

1. RogerI

RogerI MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2009
    I have Windows XP pro SP3 in my laptop, Office 2003 and adobe reader 7.
    I got an error 1324 message, and cannot carry on installation.
    Any guru can kindly help me?

2. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Try emptying your personal temp folder here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Local Settings\Temp
    if this does not work, you may have a corrupted file - try to download again - but why are you bothering with version 7 - go for version 9!

3. SavinivaS

SavinivaS MDL Junior Member

Sep 19, 2007
    I hope somebody can help me with this:

I downloaded the Acrobat X Pro trial installer (AcrobatPro_10_Web_WWEFD.exe) from Adobe a few days ago. Immediately, I started experiencing the "green ribbon of death" whenever I open Windows Explorer to the folder containing the Acrobat X installer. At first I thought the file must be corrupted but I have since deleted and downloaded the file again, verified the file size and checksums and Windows Explorer green progress bar still freezes the system whenever I open to the Acrobat X installer or try to view the file properties. The only other file types in the folder are a few pdf, rtf and txt files.

I did the web-research on this issue but most results are old discussions that say the problem is caused by thumbnail image problems with picture and video files. That doesn't apply here.

This is happening on a second HDD, not the Windows system disk. The disk is very full (only 15-20% free space) but I never had this problem until I downloaded the Acrobat X installer. I have turned off Search indexing, run CCleaner, the disk cleanup tool and the disk error checking tool which did not find any file system problems or bad sectors.

The OS is Vista Ultimate x64. Anybody have any suggestions?

Regards

4. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Set your antivirus to skip this folder, and see if that solves the problem for you, as it just maybe that your antivirus is scanning the exe file, so causes the wait?

5. SavinivaS

Sep 19, 2007
    Yes, that seems to have been the cause. I added the folder to exceptions in my Avira AntiVir and the freezing in Windows Explorer has stopped.

Thanks so much!

Regards

6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Word docs can be saved as pdf or xps (very fast and lower size files) or printed to pdf (slow and bigger files). This is on Office 2010 Pro Plus 64 bit.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. wizsand

wizsand MDL Junior Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Acyuta is right about being able to save a pdf file within word. this has been around since office 2007.

Ruixituh, the problem could be as SavinivaS says, that you are using the 64bit version of Office. I have win7-64bit but my Office is 32bit, so that may explain why I am seeing the new toolbar and you are not. As far as I can tell, there is no 64bit version of acrobat pro. When the suite comes out, there might be one but for now, if you really want the office toolbar try installing the 32bit version.

SavinivaS, Ruixituh also said the toolbar doesn't appear in IE or Chrome. If he's using 64bit windows then IE will also be 64bit and should show the acrobat toolbar (remember, it shows up in firefox). Any ideas?

8. SavinivaS

Sep 19, 2007
    Yes, Office 2007/2010 has built-in Save As/Print to PDF functionality which is satisfactory for most users but is does not have some of the features the Acrobat PDFMaker has. For example, the Acrobat add-in can automatically retain hyperlinks, convert Excel/Word headings to Bookmarks and embed video when converting to PDF.

There is no 64-bit version of Acrobat and won't be in vX. Hell, Adobe can't even produce a 64-bit Flash Player despite saying for years they are working on it. The Suite will be 32-bit only.

Regarding web browsers: All 64-bit Windows 7/Vista have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Internet Explorer and it is the 32-bit version that loads by default. So, unless Ruixituh actively changed that preference, that is not the issue. The issue is he is using IE 9 Beta and Google Chrome and neither of those browsers are supported. The Acrobat Web Capture plug-in only supports 32-bit versions of IE 6, 7, and 8 and Firefox. (v9 didn't even support Firefox). I suspect that vX will only support Firefox 3.x since Firefox 4 is also still beta.

Regards

9. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    IE9 is supported by the Acrobat X. I just activated the Acrobat bar, which was unactivated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. SavinivaS

Sep 19, 2007
    Not sure what you mean by "unactivated" but anyway, all well and good. Don't expect it to work in Chrome though.

And what of your Office 2010 installation? Is that 32 or 64 bit?

Regards

11. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Unactivated is disabled. Don't mind the language, I was in a hurry.
    I had Office 2010 x64, uninstalled and installed x86 and it works now ;)

12. SupremeSabre

SupremeSabre MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2010
    actually i don't understand why you guys want it integrated with browser and office. I specifically custom-installed to exclude integration because it seems useless to me (with 9.4)
    Custom install also lets me save some space by taking out Lifecycle and some other irrelevant languages. By the way with regards to the host blocking I believe there's a more updated, memory optimised list made by a popular sharer. If anyone is interested i'll PM him.

13. andykn

andykn MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2009
    If anyone's interested Adobe Reader X is now released too.

14. torrentwin

torrentwin MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2009
    I confirm.

Adobe All Products Keymaker v1.11.exe

CRC32: 5A8DBF64
    MD5: 12216BE253EF8F6C4DFAF1669027EF27
    SHA-1: 31C37DFACBA3515D4F14356BE63042726BB652BD

15. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    When will the Acrobat X suite coming out?

16. SavinivaS

Sep 19, 2007
    Converting a Excel spreadsheet, Word document or web page to PDF: you never have a need to do that? You don't think that is useful?

I'd be interested in that updated Hosts file you referred to...

Regards

17. SavinivaS

Sep 19, 2007
    According to Adobe press release:

"Acrobat X Suite is expected to be available by month’s end for US$1199 ($799 upgrade)". (i.e. end of November 2010)

Regards

18. wizsand

wizsand MDL Junior Member

Oct 23, 2008
    #78 wizsand, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
    (OP)
    Have any of you found a way to customize the icon toolbar? In version 8/9 I could simply drag icons onto or off of the toolbar to fit them into a single row but in version 10 they seem to be locked. The default setup wastes a lot of space, especially on a 1080p monitor!

Amazon now says the suite will be released on December 12.

19. SupremeSabre

SupremeSabre MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Maybe you're right i don't use those too often but...can't i just Save As and select PDF? :p(sent u the host btw)

20. SavinivaS

Sep 19, 2007
    #80 SavinivaS, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

Attached Files: