Activate win8ProWMC without first activate the Pro version

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by FaiKee, Oct 31, 2012.

1. buksnatata

buksnatata MDL Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I helped him over teamviewer, and yes it is true N version doesn't support WMC without any doubts.

2. mdc

mdc MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    My question is, will an ISO which accepts the free WMC key during installation also accept Pro upgrade keys, or does the updated data.dat prevent this?

3. Memnon

Memnon MDL Member

Feb 22, 2010
    @ FaiKee

In a KMS activated W8P and when WMC key is added, what will be activation atatus?
    Activation will be permanent one or as it was?
    plz let me know!
    Thanks in advance.

4. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    I just tried to upgrade from Win 8 N => Win 8 Pro with WMC but the system said it is not possible :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    I guess it couldn't, not entirely due to data.dat, but it has WMC slip-streamed to make it a winProWMC version, which doesn't accept Pro keys.....but I am not sure.

mdc is right. :D

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    You can't add any Media feature to N :D

7. mdc

mdc MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    That's not actually strictly true, if you install the Media Feature Pack on N, it becomes non-N, and you should then theoretically be able to install WMC...

8. mdc

mdc MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Just wondering why the data.dat you posted is 28kb, whereas mine (installed as Windows 8 Pro Upgrade (clean install) then with WMC applied) is only 16kb... was yours originally a KMS install?

9. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012

Indeed, i just did that and yes Win8 N accepted the instalaltion of WMP and its Win 8 N Pro now but how will i be able to install WMC now?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. fardeen

fardeen MDL Member

May 11, 2010
    same question

11. mdc

mdc MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Does it specifically say Windows 8 N Pro? As when I installed the feature pack on my laptop (which previously ran Enterprise-N, KMS activated), it changed the SKU to Windows 8 Enterprise, without the N.

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Are you sure?? That means a Pro N user must buy a new license after installing feature pack.

:unsure:

13. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes it specifically says now Windows 8 Pro N, but before it also said Win 8 Pro N as well. So, even with the addition of WMP it still remained N and not non-N.

Thing is can it also add WMC now as well since it had no problem installing WMP?

14. mdc

mdc MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Only way to find out is to try tbh; it depends on whether or not WMC checks for the presence of Media Player, or checks the SKU. It MAY also be possible to trick it into installing WMC by replacing your data.dat with an 8 Pro one, although this may cause you to lose your activation status. Whether or not you could temporarily activate using KMS prior to installing WMC, I'm not sure about.

Give the WMC installation a go and report back and let us know :)

15. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Sure ill try can you please tell me form where i shoulf try to downlaod WMC?

also 2 more questions:

a) what is an SKU
    b) what data.dta is supposed to do?

16. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  17. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    The data.dat I attched to OP was from my friend, don't know how he produced it. But I have MAK-activated my win8Pro and then activated by MS free key, and guess what, it is also 28KB. :D.......my data.dat is attached.

18. mdc

mdc MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    data.dat (stored in the %systemdir%\spp\store\ folder), from what I can ascertain, determines which activation channel Software Protection Platform uses, and POSSIBLY determines your version as well, although that's not confirmed yet.

19. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    I have just replaced my data.dat with the above data.dat FaiKee posted, and immediately my Win8 got un-activated.
    What is the next step for me now?