Activate windows 8 OEM?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by xVermicide, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    I stopped in time.. :wheelchair:

Really the concept of OEM Activations is all embedded on the Firmware, no COA, no Key. ;)

Just click on 'activate the windows now' and you'll see your copy activated, really 'awesome' Microsoft. :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. xVermicide

xVermicide MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    actually, it didn't activate. i know how to activate if i have a license key, or if it's like SLIC. but no matter what i would do, windows wouldn't activate.

i ended up buying windows pro for $15, but now i'm having trouble installing it. i just installed it now on a legacy BIOS setup, but when i try to start the installation in UEFI mode with my windows 8 setup on a FAT32 USB stick, it gives me an error that the product key is incorrect and to enter a different one, but there is no option to enter a new one. problem after problem

3. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    Looks like that you need of a OEM DVD instead of VL or RETAIL Media.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. xVermicide

xVermicide MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    but it's my purchased copy of win8 PRO not core win8 i'm installing.

5. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Taht really s*ck if there is no more COA key on the computer/laptop. I do most of my business in formatting/reinstalling base Windows customized to the user need (partition, software, etc.) and I NEVER use the os that come with the computer, only the key.

If I now have to ask for a key each time, it will be a real pain in the a**.

6. 5856898

5856898 MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2012
    If your PC was preinstalled with PRO version initially, and now your system is installed with Core version, then the OA3.0 Key which stored in Firmware would not work. Be sure your system is the same as previous when you purchase.

BTW, if you want to use the upgrade key, I guess you have to use OA3.0 tool to clean your OA3.0 key first.

7. xVermicide

xVermicide MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    it was installed with core, and i believe that's exactly what's throwing off the pro installation. it must be trying to insert the OEM/core key into the pro installation and it doesn't give me an option to change the key.

where do i find OA3.0 tool? that sounds like it must be exactly what i need to do

8. 5856898

Aug 18, 2012
    With regard to the OA3.0 tool, you can get it from some OEM Guys.
    I don't recommend to use this tool to clean your Product Key since you can deploy a Core installation first and then upgrade to PRO.

9. mdc

mdc MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, don't remove your OA key, that's madness lol. Best thing to do, by the sounds of it, would be a clean install of Core, then the Anytime Upgrade thingy to go to Pro.

10. xVermicide

xVermicide MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    i tried installing core, it wouldn't activate. that's why i made this topic in the first place.
    and i've already bought a windows 8 pro key so..

11. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    You should've provided more details about that reinstall of Core version: did you do it without inserting key?, and what did this command "slmgr.vbs -dlv" shows after reinstall is completed?
    Then, again, what's the error message when online activation fails?

12. zbteck

zbteck MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    If not active nor for KMS... contact the dealer

13. 5856898

Aug 18, 2012
    Plz let us know what's the error message when online activation fails? I'll try a clean install on my OEM purchased PC and will reply later......

14. 5856898

Aug 18, 2012
    I just did a quick check and OA3.0 Activation on Clean Install works for me, looks like you have to find out the key that stored in Firmware, and then slmgr /ipk...

For the method to get the key, I will recommend RW-Everything.
    Here is my screenshot, Good Luck.

screenshot.jpg

15. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Any news on how to enable OEM computer?