Activating Microsoft Windows 8 Pro with media center for free with legitimate key!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by udit247, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. level9

level9 MDL Member

Jun 25, 2012
    #1161 level9, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    Well, isn´t the amount of rearms still at 999? 82 Years of Re-Arms to skip away the activation nag?
    Win 9 should be around earlier than^^
    Am I wrong? Can someone check?

Thx

Edit:
    Quote from above:
    "At this point, while my support guy investigates further, he's had me do a slmgr /rearm to keep the nag screens away for 30 days. His goals are to initially get this single environment working properly and then to provide a set of instructions to allow us to repeat in the future."

According to this, grace period should stay for 30 days each re-arm. Or am I getting something wrong?

@november rain: Just wanted to know if there is still 999 rearms in Win8WMC because I can´t look it up by myself at the moment.

2. november_rain

november_rain MDL Addicted

Oct 25, 2012
    I will be dead by then.........

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    Are you usig hotmail or outlook account? if you are not,you should,it might help

4. JorgeLopez

JorgeLopez MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2013
    Hello everyone,

I recently activated my copy of windows 8 wmc with the data.dat swap method, however, they don't seem to work anymore. After installing the key again after replacing the data.dat in the spp/store folder with a working one, Windows overwrites the new data.dat with a different one, resulting in the activation method failing.

I think they just very recently fixed this method, because I installed a copy of w8wmc for my brother today using this method and 2 hours later the method failed on my laptop.

Can anyone else confirm?

5. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #1166 redroad, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  6. JorgeLopez

JorgeLopez MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2013
  7. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Xterminater

Xterminater MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I tried activating using hackeur's script and a valid data.dat but it still show not activated. What is going on?

9. JorgeLopez

JorgeLopez MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2013
    #1171 JorgeLopez, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    Redid the process with both files. Unfortunately, neither of them worked.

(removed links because of my nub status)

I checked with solution 3 on the pdf and used the data.dat file from it. Still didn't work :c

I'm going to try to do an offline install and use some different isos to see if anything helps

UPDATE: Well, I tried doing the offline install and it didn't work. I used every data.dat available to me and still failed. Every time at the last step when I try to rewrite my key, Windows overwrites the good data.dat with a different version. Now I'm off to download some different ISOs

10. craftbrewer

craftbrewer MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #1172 craftbrewer, Jan 4, 2013
    So your saying that when you tried to activate via the website, not only do they rewrite the token file, they load something to windows that somehow modifies the data file, or stops the replacement of the data file.

That would imply two things if true
    1. previous versions activated are safe, as no "secret" program has been downloaded.
    2. Those with WMC activation really need to watch updates coming up

EDIT

A thought - Have you tried changing the permission of the data file so it cant be over-written once you replaced it

11. Xterminater

Xterminater MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I didn't get any message about windows trying to re-write my data.dat file but I used hackeur's script to automatically replaced the dat, it worked before but now it kept saying error code and still have watermark and not activated. Can any pro chimed in on this and what's going on?

12. JorgeLopez

JorgeLopez MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2013
    #1174 JorgeLopez, Jan 4, 2013
    Wait, what? I didn't say that at all. What I said was that when I rewrote my key for the second time, Windows replaced the data file that I put in with a different modified one. Maybe it's supposed to happen, maybe it isn't. I just noticed that the data.dat file size changed by about 2KB after I rewrote the key.

I'll try changing the permissions though

UPDATE: I changed the permissions to denying sppsvc and system any control over the data.dat file. After trying to rewrite the key I received an error message with the error code 0x80070426

I never got a message from windows about changing the data.dat file. It just did it automatically. The script also used to work for me before. Now, not so much.

13. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    The 2kb change is normal depending on circumstance every activation event will change the data.dat file size.

14. Xterminater

Xterminater MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    so what isngoing on now and why suddenly this method has stopped even with offline mode?

15. slyfox30

slyfox30 MDL Member

Mar 8, 2012
    I did this since the beginning and backed up the store file on both.I had to re install on one machine and replaced the backed up store file and there was no activation no more. Backing up the store file in my case doesn't work no more..So this thread is no good unless im missing something

16. slyfox30

slyfox30 MDL Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Can you point to what you did? im on my last key

17. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
  18. craftbrewer

craftbrewer MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    ok, I got the wrong end of what you were saying, my mistake.

Question remains, is the current WMC activation method stopped or not (I don't have a spare PC at the moment to test)