Activating ToughBook at Welcome Screen Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by autobengal, Dec 24, 2009.

1. autobengal

autobengal MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2008
    I just got a Toughbook on Ebay. It did not come pre-activated. When I try to insert the product key underneath the computer (XP PRO Volume License) it does not accept it.
    I can't hack it because I can't even get into safe mode. I don't want to reinstall the system because of driver issues.
    Is there any way of removing the hard drive and inserting or changing something with out booting the system?
    Thanks guys

2. spiderman_pink

spiderman_pink MDL Member

Jul 1, 2009
    if you boot to Safe Mode only, you should be able to log in. you'd be prompted for activation if you boot as per normal, or Safe Mode with Networking

3. mick711

mick711 MDL Junior Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Hello

I have a Toughbook CF19 Mk1 i buy like you on ebay .

When i received XP won't start and shutdown .

I put HDD on my Laptop and recover all data with GetDataBack and all befaore all data that i can read ... Windows Folder is very very important .

I install with USB stick XP Pro VLK because like you serial on the toughbook don't work and after i go on this Topic for convert my XP Vlk to OEM .

I search the link for you know files to recover .

For other Help like software and Hardware go to Notebookreview ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mick711

mick711 MDL Junior Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. cingularv551

cingularv551 MDL Junior Member

Oct 11, 2009
    there are a handful of xp pro license types (vlk, msdn, retail, oem). to use the coa key on the bottom of the laptop, you need the operating system to have been installed using the oem installation media. (oem keys will not work on installs done using vlk, msdn and retail product keys).

6. cingularv551

Oct 11, 2009
    to bypass windows product activation, you need to choose safe mode without networking. if you choose safe mode with networking, wpa will still be active and require you to activate before you can login.

7. cingularv551

Oct 11, 2009
    that toughbook should have the "MEI_CF" string present in the bios for windows xp oem slp activation. many of the toughbook cf-19's will also have a slic 2.0 in the bios for windows vista activation too.