Activating win 7 64 bit

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by brk1, Dec 2, 2012.

1. brk1

brk1 MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2010
    Hi Phasedoubt, it's a totally clean install, nothing slipstreamed in to the iso, I.E 8 and Windows Explorer I know install automatically, all I have done extra is added Firefox as a straight internet download, but to cut a long story short (not very short I know :rofl6::rofl6: )

3 Laptops in the house all run Windows 7 Pro ,all activated properly, all working as they should do

I'm about to build a new system with 4 Core i5 Proccessor with extra Ram hence wanting a 64 bit system

Tried to make up a OEM X64 Win 7 Disk for installs, at first fitting an OEM folder that didn't activate on my Slic 2.1 laptops

Made new X64 Disk with a Working OEM folder taken from my original working disk that all activate at install time

All installs are on freshly blank formatted HDrives

All installs are activated but I.E 8, Windows Explorer and Firefox don't function properly, they open a Window then instead of opening another Window they shut the window if clicked again

Copy that did not activate were made active with Daz Loader, activate fine but same problem with I.E ,Firefox etc

The original install disk that worked fine on all 3 laptops now doesn't work properly on my system on a spare Hdrive

To this day I still don't know of a Virus or Malware that can write to a Closed Session DVDr so disk should not have changed physically, yes a freshly made disk could be corrupt when made

All Installs are totally clean on formatted Disks from an install disk that can't be altered , worked fine but now it doesn't work correctly anymore

Therefore something must have altered on the Laptop itself rather than on the installed HDrive

I don't want the X64 disk to run on my laptop, only the new system I'm to build, but it should work from a spare HDrive in my laptop, other people are running X64 systems on the same Laptops we're using, my original Win7 Pro install on my original Hdrive still works on the Laptop, it only goes funny if I try a fresh install on spare HDrives fitted inside my Laptop :confused::confused:

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #43 PhaseDoubt, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    Then I'd suspect the installation disk is either damaged or dirty. Frankly I have no solution to your situation, only suggestions.

First thing I'd do is clean the DVDr and try again. If that fails, I'd re-download the .iso file (from this forum only) and re-verify it was a good download. Next I'd burn the .iso at slowest speed and verify the burn and re-try the installation. If that fails I'd tend to believe your computer has some undetected damage.

If you can, try the installation on a totally different computer. I know not everybody has one, but since the early days of Windows 95 I've had a "junk" computer to do just that. Had to upgrade it a bit as OSes evolved, but having a test box can be a great advantage.

4. brk1

brk1 MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2010
    Thanks for all your help on this guys, still not sorted yet but run out of time before Xmas, tried original bios , downgrade bios, re-apply modded bios, more known working Win 7 disks, totally untouched , hash checked and verified copies, cmos reset, anything I can think of, I've got about 10 different disks, I couldn't have made that many errors when burning :haha::haha:, I've made a few thousand burns in my time, but still the exact same problem exists, I'll rip open one of the kids laptops over the break and try again on theirs and see what happens, so merry Xmas to you all

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ brk1, do yourself a favour get a hold of a few rewritable disks saves money in the long run :)

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  7. searchengine

searchengine Guest

I would suggest...

1. download 'Windows7 latest SP1 refresh version' iso's
    2. edit iso|s with your own modifications.
    3. install VMware Workstation, and edit vmware bios with the exact slic 2.1 you have on your pc.
    4. load your 'modified' iso in vmware (no need to burn dvd) and perform Windows 7 installation.
    5. if all goes well, burn your 'verified' iso, and run installation again in vmware, this time using the 'burned' DVD.

8. brk1

brk1 MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2010
    "Big UPdate"

Apparently my Windows Pro X86 Win 7 disk doesn't work on the kids Laptops either :mad::mad:, It's fully working on my original HDDrive only, the point is I have no other install disk For the Pro Version and it's working fine on my sytem,the kids having not used Win 7 before didn't know the difference of how Firefox should have been working on Win 7 with multiple clicks producing multiple windows that all show up as thumbs when you hover over the Firefox so never complained, they just learn't to use it that way without me ever knowing. I also have a Home Premium version that I used before I got hold of that Pro disk, that worked just as well before I upped it to Pro, so something must have existed on my Laptop that made both versions work at that time, but now neither of them work properly on a fresh install on spare HDDrives , that reason I'll never know why but I daren't touch this HDDrive I've put back in, it's the only working version I have.

Does anybody have the Hash checks to those latest media refresh iso's , I'm worried now I might have something lurking on my PC that might be affecting them, no type of scans can find anything though on my system but something is going wrong without me knowing, I also re downloaded that latest OEM folder that's been updated, that made my system an Acer certificate even though it clearly has a Dell Slic 2.1 modded bios flashed correctly to it, but we know there were a few hiccups with that $OEM$ folder as posted, is there also a hash check for that, all downloaded fine but I can't trust anything on my systems after all these problems I seem to have encountered. Then I'll forget anything I think I know and follow the most suitable guide available? I'd be happy with one multi OS disk that holds all versions on Win 7 both X64 and X86

So I'll fresh install Win XP back onto a spare HDDive then freshly download anything needed and make a totally fresh install disk with totally unused or affected iso's or tools, the reason I must do this is for the simple reason that I downloaded the original old 7600 Win 7 release, hash checked and verified after burn, added absolutely nothing just to see what happened and still it didn't work, If I bang my head against the wall anymore I won't wake up till after the New Year has started :biggrin::biggrin:

My appologies if I don't answer very quickly, I've got to get my end of year accounts up to date and handed to my accountant asap so I don't get fined before Jan 31st so I've got a busy few days ahead with Xmas knocking on the door so shortly :eek:

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #50 urie, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  10. brk1

brk1 MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2010
    #51 brk1, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    (OP)
    Thanks urie for those hash files, I have read your posts and downloaded from those links, I totally didn't look under the down load link for the latest OEM folder :eek::eek:, but the iso files I downloaded were from a page with masses of options on them , the link I used simply gave the direct iso download for the X64 and X86 , there was no hash check files included with them on that page but the ones you have supplied are the needed ones :worthy: .

The only reason I have asked for the best guides to do this is because those instructions are exactly what I have done, download iso, add oem and remove the ei.cfg, but still I'm not getting a working disk :confused::confused:, to have used my original working disks on my system only for them to no longer work beggars belief, for everything I've tried, still nothing works but I just can't pinpoint where it's going wrong, a simple straight download , hash checked and burnt untouched, verified after burn , even without adding the oem folder or activating it with daz loader, the iso still never worked as it should do, I know I didn't need to download different versions but when those versions just didn't work I tried any iso out of desperation, again the original first 7600 build iso verfified installed and activated fine NO PROPER FIREFOX USE, the multi X86 and X64 worked fine ,installed and activated properly, but again Firefox didn't work properly, The same with the hash checked verified VL version, activates fine but again Firefox won't play ball.

I'm now on a totally fresh XP Pro SP3 install , all iso's and files now are perfect hash checked downloads, we all know 2+2 = 4 but on my laptop it seems to make 5 with no reason as to why nothing seems to go right, the same fierfox download runs fine on this XP install, so again that rules out a faulty program.

I have the A16, A17 and A18 modded bios files for our laptops, I haven't tried the A18 one yet but the A16 and A17 haven't worked or simply both probably do work fine and the problem lies somewhere else, I'll find this problem somehow , I have a new SSD drive coming ready for the new build, I'll try on that,I'll also dig out an old spare and try on a desktop rather than these laptops, even though all should work just fine.

Can't use the OEM assessment tool at the moment due to being on XP Pro, it doesn't work on that OS, but the slic toolkit still reports as DELLM09 V_2.1 so I know the 2.1 slic is installed

11. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    True, but if you have a good burn and you install from it, all you gotta do is let Windows Update run and do it's thing. There's nothing wrong with the RTM version per se, in fact that's where many of us started from. Of course if you just gotta have the latest and greatest .......

12. brk1

brk1 MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2010
    I'd be happy if I got any version working at the moment :biggrin::biggrin:, I followed the guides which were the same way I made the original install disks, just now they don't work :bangin::bangin:

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    True there is nothing wrong with RTM but its a matter of time taken to download SP1 and update you can do full installation in that time. Also I would prefer to download from Digital River Direct Links if available any day than from a torrent site.

14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #55 urie, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    What are you using to edit the ISO file i,e, UltraISO, ISO buster, MagicISO, PowerISO e.c.t. If file hashes are matching then it is obviously software or hardware i,e, burner. You have other machines have you tried compiling the dvd on one of them.

15. brk1

brk1 MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2010
    #57 brk1, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    (OP)
    Opened up the image with Ultraiso Premium 9.3.6.2750 added $OEM$ folder to the sources folder and removed ei.cfg and recompiled with same , burnt using imgburn 2.5.7 at 4x and verified straight after burn, burnt on laptop or my Tower using same software but different drives, all versions verify at time of burn, only had time to try installs on my laptop, will try with spare HDDrive in my desktop asap, also have a SLic 2.1 mod on that but can't use that HDDrive as it's got too much needed stuff on it, SSD has come now so can trial that on the tower when I get some spare time.

The x64 and x86 combined iso. I made with the auto setting in the Windows AIO package, then added the OEM to that.

Any files that were originally compiled with 7Zip are uncompiled with 7 Zip, any rars are unrarred with winrar Corp

The OEM assessment tool would have worked fine on my original laptop HDDrive running Win 7 properly but I've got the spare in with XP so everything is totally clean and free from anything that came off my other systems incase I have some nasty lurking somewhere, virus checker and spybots all come up as clean on those systems though :confused:

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ brk1, why are you burning with imgburn just use UltraISO.

17. brk1

brk1 MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2010
    Just natural instincts I'm afraid, movies, 360 disks, Wii you name it, it's what I've always used, never thought of Ultraiso to tell you the truth :confused:, I've always added/altered stuff with Ultra then always burnt with imgburn, a lot of stuff I burn isn't in iso. form to start with so I've basically burnt everything with imgburn, I'll give it a try and see what happens !!

18. stevo

stevo MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2012
    Hi, I managed to install it after about the fifth attempt, on my Samsung laptop. I live in Thailand and you can buy windows disks here (copys of course) for about $5 but one thing I learned - when you install as soon as you get to the first bogon screen and the message windows is starting for the 1st time etc then put the loader on now my laptop I had already realized needed to be in legacy mode to give it the correct MBR for it to work. I previously had 7 32 bit and the wat crack would suffice, b ut as you probably know it doesn't for 64. But basically if your bios does not support legacy your screwed I had already tried the disable type 3/4 memory etc to no avail. But I knew it must be possible, the strange thing is they don't know how to do it here, the guy I bough if from tried to install a version and it worked then the wat kicked in it didn't matter if you uninstalled hen KBT971033 update in fact i have left mine on. and I have automatic updates ON. If you don't update 64 actually slows down

Save everything one your system put it on sky drive pen drive external drives even your mates computer or the server at work if you work in IT I did that once.

Reformat the whole damn thing including all the partition tables set the bios to legacy it should work, and you know its all been worthwhile when you get that screen on windows there m""n it doesn't say Congratulations or anything but I guarantee everyone will here you scream in your building. F**k MS. ITs all a self serving industry and we have no choice but to ADOPT there flaky half baked OS.

If all my apps run on Linux I would change in a heart beat. OH you can take it off Legacy mode once your done that was not in the instructions I was given.

What they do here is sell it with a script that installs a load of other apps but I got a virgin copy it even had a cracked version of Sony Vegas all for about $5 not bad eh?