Activating Win 8.1 WMC using Win 8 KMS to WMC upgraded key?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by CyPhErLoUs, Sep 7, 2013.

1. CyPhErLoUs

CyPhErLoUs MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    I've been trying to search here for almost 2 hours trying to find out if anyone has done this before but haven't found a straight answer.

I have a friend who would like me to upgrade to his Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. I have his computer permanently activated using the KMS method followed by applying a Media Center key via email from MS about a year ago, and I'm now making a "Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center ISO Only" following the guide halfway below in the thread named "Creating a Windows 8.1 AIO with Media Center Manually."

So my question is: would I be able to permanently activate 8.1 with Media Center using the WMC key currently on his Win 8 with Media Center activated computer? A while ago I sort of remember something about the WMC key becoming a permanent activation key once applied on top of the original key, or something like that.

Thanks for any info :)

2. pra_viilon

pra_viilon MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    #2 pra_viilon, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    WMC upgrade key does become permanent activation key. But it should be applied on top of a previously activated Windows 8 Core or Pro.
    When you do a clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro with WMC from the ISO, it will not accept your key, because it is the upgrade key. I have tried the same thing. I have WMC upgrade key, but I do not have the retail Pro key.
    The solution is:
    1. Install Win 8.1 Core or Pro, activate it somehow, maybe with a random retail key. Then upgrade it with your WMC key.

2. Install Win 8.1 Pro with WMC from the ISO, mess with data.dat file a bit and make it activated with your upgrade key (didn't work for me)