Activation Files?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by gail, Jun 15, 2008.

1. gail

gail MDL Junior Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Hi, there i am just wondering what files are modified when you activate Vista or Windows Server 2008,is it possible to activate, make a back up of the modified files then next time you install the OS,just replace the files,Thanx in advance............

2. reginakampher

reginakampher MDL Addicted

Apr 5, 2008
    In stead of going that route, why don't you just make a backup image of your hard drive after Vista activates. Then, when you want to reinstall the OS, just restore the image. Vista has an integrated software that can make a backup image of your hard drive. There are also commercially available software that does a better job than Vista such as Acronis True Image and Paragon Drive Backup.

3. shay_g

shay_g MDL Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Wow

WOW!!!!...
    i can't believe that i found a girl that have so much knowledge in computer's

p.s. it's so hard to find a girl with so much knowledge like you (if we have the same religion i was taking you to be my wife)

sorry for my bad english

BTW i'm jewish

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. reginakampher

Apr 5, 2008
    Your English is not that bad. I'm not Jewish, but thank you for the offer.

5. shay_g

shay_g MDL Member

Apr 10, 2008
    i have a private question:
    what is your religion???

p.s. if this is too private answer me in Private Messege

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  7. reginakampher

Apr 5, 2008
    #9 reginakampher, Jun 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
    I am not religious although I did grow up as a Methodist

8. RomanS

RomanS MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2008
    Hi urie,

I do know about Acronis, thank you for telling.

Backing up is a good idea, but I was just asking why backing up the activation files if the activation itself was not a problem and did not take much time or effort. According to the thread started:

Yet, it's quite interesting to find out exactly which files are modified by activation process, how these files relate to each other, and whether at all it's possible to copy these files to a different system to get it activated. Out of curiosity, not for practical use.

Cheers.

9. gail

gail MDL Junior Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Server 2008

Thanx for replies,i do know bit abut the various activations,but as im messing with server2008[maybe i should have said],i have an activated version and i know the seial wont last forever,so just wondering what files are actually affected by the process,again thnx for replies...........................