Adaptec 39160 SCSI PCIe (PCI Express)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by vze2mp9g, Aug 17, 2016.

1. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Can any one tell me where I can get of an Adaptec 39160 PCIe SCSI? I just got a modern PC, which has PCIe slots. Is there a way for me to use a PCI card with my modern computer?
    Than You.

:worthy:

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Are you sure? I believe that's an old card that's PCI-X (64bit PCI). You'd be looking at an old server board with legacy bios... Nothing "modern" would support it!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #4 Flipp3r, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    WOW! Talk about a blast from the past. I had an Adaptec 29160 and a 10000 RPM SCSI drive.

We killed the drive in about a month. :D

@OP: No. Don't even waste your time trying. Just go for an SSD.

The new SSDs are -amazing- in terms of their throughput / performance.

6. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Thanks for the offer, but I think I might be able to use another Adaptec SCSI card that is PCIe.

7. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Oh no, it's not for HDD, its that I have a very reliable HP ScanJet 4c. This was my first scanner about 8 years ago. I also have 2 other scanners I could use, however, those are specialty scanners. 1. Epson Perfection V600 Photo, 2. HP OfficeJet 7645 (wide scanner & fax).
    Thank you. :eek:

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    There are, and called SCSI to USB Converter. But, only the way: SCSI Device to USB Computer Connector, and NOT USB Device to Computer SCSI Card! That means, you could not connect a USB Scanner to a SCSI Card, if you asked for that!

If you like to use that Adaptec 39160 Card, be careful about the Cable and it's connector. For the 39160 you should use a Ultra320 Cable, or at least a Ultra 160 Cable, both are 68pin. The Ultra 320 Cable has a much better quality and higher speed of data transfer because the Cable Pairs are twisted, like the Ethernet Cable for Network.

9. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    I understand. This is what I'm concerned about. Right now I have an older computer with no PCIe cards. I plan on putting a new system together that has PCIe and no PCI slots. What I want to do is have the USB connected to my computer and have the SCSI end to the scanner. BTW, it's a HP ScanJet 4c, with 2 C50 Female (Centronics) connector in the back. The Adaptec 39160 in the old computer is an Ultra160 SCSI end.

Do the have a SCSI C50 Female (Centronics) connector to USB cable for my new computer?
    Thank You.

o_O

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You'll still need to have a few PCI (32bit) Slot's beside of the PCI-Express (not PCIe) Slots, they're still needed!

The Ultra SCSI Cards having 64bit connector (those long 4 part set of connectors) while the 64bit PCI-Express connectors are much smaller:
    1. PCI-Express1 = 1 single connector (very small)
    2. PCI-Express2 = 2 part connectors (much wider)

The 39160 Card has that old style 64bit connectors!

And yes, there are SCSI C50 to USB Converter cables for to directly connect your scanner to the computer, without the need to use a SCSI Card. Please keep in mind, that, if you like to do it correctly and not have any data transfer problem, that 2. C50 Port on the scanner need to have a Terminator attached. In that 'old' day's, some external SCSI Drive/Devices (like Scanner) for to 'bind' and connect those devices together and that last of those devices in such 'line' need to have a Terminator attached for to work correctly.

11. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Okay, you have me confused on the first part. PCIe isn't PCI-Express? I guess that's my mistake. I was unaware of the SCSI cards having a 64bit connector, so I can not use that old Ultra SCSI card on a PCI-Express slot? I didn't think so.

Lastly, thanks for the termination information, I do have my scanner terminated because there are no other SCSI devices connected to the computer.

Again, thank you for this information.
    :eek:

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Simply: NO! You could NOT use that old SCSI Card and a PCI-Express Slot, it simply didn't fit into it, besides of that, the architecture of that are different too!

PCIe is a 64bit PCI Enhanged connector, while PCI-Express (also named PCI-X) is available in 2 versions, both 64bit too, as PCI-Express 1 (PCI-X1) and PCI-Express16 (PCI-X16).

Normal PCI connectors are 32bit connectors, on which also Cards with PCIe connectors could be used for to plug in the first 2 connectors only! In that way, 64bit of the Card would be emulated, if supported by the firmware, otherwise used as 32bit.

Regarding Termination of SCSI Devices: The last device on the SCSI Cable (line, if more than 1 cable is used) used need to be terminated, if there isn't a Terminator on the cable.

On normal SCSI Cards could be used up to 7 devices + SCSI Card, while on Ultra Cards could be used up to 15 devices + SCSI Card, per connector on the SCSI Card (1 or more, depend on Card).

Until 2 years ago, I had a Compaq Proliant Server, with 28 15K rpm HDD's, each 146GB, connected to 2 Adaptec 39320 Cards. It had worked for more than 12 years, without a single problem. Finally, I sold that system to Myanmar 2 years ago.