Add DOS to existing WIN7 installation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lostpassword, Feb 6, 2010.

1. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    #1 lostpassword, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  2. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Re command reference

Not tried this, but could you print from a DOS application through this?

3. Veegertx

Veegertx MDL Junior Member

Jul 23, 2009
    I have but maybe not same things as you, worth a shot instead of apply dos to your installation

4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    If the application worked in XP it will probably work in 7 - since XP came out nearly 10 years ago I assume you're still not using the DOS based Windows ?

I am guessing the printer is recognized ?

If not perhaps time for an upgrade into the 21st century

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Thanks for all the replies. If I use my PC with a parallel port and parallel printer set as default in WIN7, the DOS program running under WIN7 passes the print to the spooler and eventually prints OK. I have not had a PC with a parallel port for several years and was pleasantly surprised to find my new Ebuyer PC had a parallel port.

It was still nice to work in a DOS environment, and now I have the choice of 2 ways as they both write to the same FAT32 partition. The performance of the old DOS program on a quad core PC is amazing. To recompile all the programs using a batch file used to take about 10 minutes on a 286. Now just a blur and finishes in about 20 seconds, cannot even see what is going on, when you used to be able to see each line being counted.

I know this will seem like the Stone Age to younger readers, but for real work like accounting and stock entry (ie boring stuff) there is no real speed improvement or other benefits using modern stuff. Even the trusty dot matrix printer is cheap to run and perfectly good enough for printing invoices and stock sheets. As an "oldie" I find this forum brilliant and the skills of some of the WIN7 loader writers are amazing.

My forecast for the future is that the operating system will be free. Wait until Google release their OS. I use the Chrome browser instead of Explorer and I think Google are a bigger threat to Microsoft than a few loader writers. I do have a legal copy on one machine that was installed from new.

6. Veegertx

Veegertx MDL Junior Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Yes and best of all, you didn't have to install nothing.
    I have no parallel/serial nor a floppy on this new one of mine but I would bet there is either a card or a usb to whatever adapter.