Add Packages from other Windows Editions // Convert your Edition into any other.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by KNARZ, Oct 25, 2013.

1. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Please yea that would be great :)

2. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #22 KNARZ, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    (OP)
    I tested the easy way (redundant files) and was successfull. gpedit.msc,secpol.msc,rsop.msc is running flawlessly ... I guess the other tools will also work.
    (4 packages = 3mb)

I created a new package an will send it to you tomorrow. It's (little) tested, more automated and works with no problems. (hopfully after some modifications later on)

3. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    I noticed the OP said he needed a few beta testers. I have various hardware and OS's at my disposal and have a pretty good understanding of dism and cmd with all the usual ISOs at my disposal. If thats helpful PM me a package to try if you want. If your current script MAY cause damage to my OS or dism, thats ok with me. ;)

The only other advice i can offer is to watch what commands you use in the different Os as the disms have limitations. Win 8.1 has some nice new features that i forget don't natively work in 7 that cause me grief when i forget. Also, by setting flags at certain times, a key, or a reset base may help it to force a change in a tough spot. Regarding upgrading an edition, my thought on a workaround would be to find exactly where /gettargeteditions looks for information (a .dll?) and temporarily substitute it with a core edition one (or whatever applicable) to trick it into what it thinks it can upgrade to.

4. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #24 KNARZ, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  5. Xiinc37

Xiinc37 MDL Novice

May 22, 2013
    I know this project is early, and there is still much to do - but is it possible that this could be used to add the RemoteFX vGPU functionality unique to Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise guests to 8/8.1 Pro? It was supposedly present in the 8/8.1 previews, but they removed it from Pro RTM editions. This is something I'd like to utilize in the future to play games in guest OSs under hyper-v (I don't have VT-d because of K cpu, stupid intel:mad:), and I have a legit Pro retail license: I don't want to have to mess with KMS just for this one feature. I'm doing testing myself to find out what exactly Enterprise has that Pro doesn't that enables it - so I may end up solving this myself (i'm hoping its just drivers within the guest). It seems no one else has had this problem, so I figured asking here would be my best bet.

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows something I don't :biggrin:

6. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #26 KNARZ, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  7. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #27 KNARZ, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    (OP)
    I will break up/abort the project. I will reveal/public all my Information and scripts and ways how I did things but than I'm pretty much done. I just don't have the time to investigate all the things that are might be interessting (for me and others). I have to do much more personal/private stuff.

I have so many Ideals but without programming skills I can't do it on my own and maybe with this initial steps someone else can bring this up to a new level. It all works but it can be improved a lot...

So far... within the next days/weeks I will post all the gathered data.

8. jpickerell

jpickerell MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2013
    KNARZ, any chance you might look back into adding WMC to Pro/Enterprise VL version of Windows 8/8.1? This would just be fantastic!