Admin Issue On Fresh Install Of Win7 x64 Ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DeathStalker77, Dec 2, 2013.

1. DeathStalker77

DeathStalker77 MDL Addicted

Nov 8, 2009
    I only have one account (named, but by default Admin - User Accounts shows it as an Administrator, and there are no other accounts). However, when I try to move/copy files to other folders, I get the message that "You'll need to provide administrator permission to move/copy", and in addition, when I run certain programs (ex, SpeedGuide.net's TCP Optimizer) I get the message --

The current user account does not have permissions to change all the necessary settings. Please start the program with administrator priviledges (right-click and "run as administrator" under Vista/Windows 7, or login as the administrator under older versions of Windows).​

I have found references to corrupt profiles in searching the issue, but that is clearly not the case here - this is a fresh and clean install.

Thanks much for any assistance! :)

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #2 PhaseDoubt, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    That's just the way Windows works; adjusting the UAC might help. If it were me, I'd create another user with a name not including any form of the word "Administrator". Just my paranoia, but I steer clear of that reference (and "guest" as well) in user names. Make the new user an admin user (as opposed to a regular user) and see what happens.

You can always delete the new user. All my machines have at least two users. Profiles do get corrupted and I want to be able to login immediately if (when?) it does happen.

3. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    I was wondering if it was *just* UAC (as some programs will not auto-launch). As it's my father's laptop, I would prefer to keep UAC on (personally i have it turned off on my own system).

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #4 PhaseDoubt, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    What programs do you believe should "auto launch"? Unless they're in the Startup folder, have a component that launches to run it in background (firewall, AV and etc.) or some such, program need to be stated by double click the icon or .exe. If the icon is pinned to the taskbar a single click will start it.

If your father is not complaining you might want to leave well enough alone. Which seems to be the conclusion you've already arrived at.

5. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    A quick example would be PeerBlock - tried both in StartUp folder and in RegRun (user), and it still prompts to run (and yes, Run As Admin is selected for All Users).

6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #6 Flipp3r, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Run CMD as administrator.
    At the prompt, type:
    Code:
    net user administrator /active
    This will enable the Administrator account.
    Now just log off & log in as Administrator. You can now delete your old account.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    #7 DeathStalker77, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    That doesn't explain why the account *shows* as admin, but still has permission issues.

A fresh install should not have this issue.

8. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    It's Windows. And as such, what should happen is all to often not what does happen.

9. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Have you tried enabling administrator & logging in with NEW profile?
    Memtest your system.
    What about your install source? Is it some crap AIO with reg tweaks etc...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    No, not going to do the new profile, too much hassle. And no, it is the official release from the Repository.

11. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    You've got to be kidding. It takes maybe 30 seconds to create a new user and about the same to delete it and all its files.