Administrator users can't run vb6 App on Remoted Desktop Server 2012

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by craigba, Jan 8, 2014.

  1. craigba

    craigba MDL Novice

    Jan 8, 2014
    3
    0
    0
    Hi guys,
    Absolutely desperate here. I inherited a VB6 app (which I am currently converting to VB.NET), but the IT dept has upgraded the Server to 2012. We have not finished the upgrade, so as an interim workaround, they are trying to use the VB6 version for remote users.
    This is where the problem is:
    Administrator can run the app perfectly (Either logged in as Admin or Right-clicking and running as Admin). If other users (even with full admin rights, full access to folders) run it, they run into problems when certain ocx / dlls (I presume) are being called. One of these is the emailing function (sending via Outlook).
    We temporarily resolved the problem by running the app from each station as Admin (Runas). Problem solved. Except for the fact that because the app is run as Admin - it wants to use the Admin account profile and not the user. Also some users are getting an Active X Cant Create Component Error 429.
    Any ideas?



    I have read that disabling UAC might work, but not sure if it will (seen as though everyone had admin rights but couldn't run the app properly).


    I am extremely desperate, as if the function doesn't work, the pressure will be on me to complete the upgrade...


    Please, please, please :)
     
  2. jellybelly

    jellybelly MDL Member

    Oct 30, 2009
    150
    28
    10
    Generally, this is an issue of a required runtime file not being installed... some standard/custom dll/ocx that the program uses.

    As a workaround attempt you can try putting any required files into the program exe location rather than the system directories.. and if/as needed register the files on the system.

    Also ensure that you have compatibility on all resources ... meaning if you are using some kind of component for the Outlook email make sure it is compatible with whatever version of Outlook is currently installed and being used.. if it's a VB6 program then it was probably made in the era of Office XP/2000/2003 and may not be compatible with newer versions.

    And ensure that all required components are actually being distributed to the other users... that goes along with what I said above about the system directories but maybe you have something on your development computer that the user computers do not have.. it sounds like you have the source code project right? so run the VB6's setup and deployment app to get all required controls detected and packaged up neatly into a folder so you know for sure what files are needed.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. craigba

    craigba MDL Novice

    Jan 8, 2014
    3
    0
    0
    Hi JB (hope you don't mind me calling you that).

    Thanks, firstly for responding.

    I will try putting the files in the program folder, and registering. I'm quite sure it won't work:

    Running the App as Admin / logged in as admin is perfect, no errors.

    Other users (even with admin privileges) get the errors.
    The folder the exe runs from is c:\program files(x86)\ app folder

    The fact that it's 64 bit could be causing problems.

    All local users are okay as well...

    As for the compatibility - I don't think it's that, as the Admin user runs the app and functions okay...
     
  4. craigba

    craigba MDL Novice

    Jan 8, 2014
    3
    0
    0
    Okay. I think I resolved this: Client is still testing.

    I setup each Remote User as an Admin user and Domain Admin. Installed the app (which registered various Com objects). I tested and seemed okay. Then I removed the Admin and Domain Admin Rights and tested again and seems okay...

    Hope this saves someone else hours of trouble :)