Advent T9100 Win7 Ultimate BSOD? + Minidump

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Deleted member 185298, Feb 1, 2011.

Just got another Memory Management BSOD ^_^

1. I just ran memtest.

Here are 2 screens:

DSC00239.jpg
    DSC00240.jpg

It looks bad. You know, even before installing 7, i would get random BSODS like this, and i thought it was the RAM, as i ran memtest to the same results as today. I bought new ram from crucial. Thought the issue was fixed once after much frustration to install the RAM, as i had to try EVERY combination (e.g put one stick in, then the other, or maybe switch ram places because it would give a loud beeping sound when it tried to boot.

I think it's my motherboard. I mean, RAM is plugged into the motherboard, isn't it? There can never be errors with new RAM.

2. subpsyke

subpsyke MDL Junior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    That's a pretty bad sign, but perhaps it's a BIOS configuration issue. Reboot your PC, enter the BIOS, load the default settings, save and run memtest again. If that doesn't clear the errors, try changing the CPU or ram frequencies/voltages in the settings.

3. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    1) Yes, brand new RAM can have errors. This is why new RAM must ALWAYS be tested.

2) It is possible, though highly unlikely, that this is a motherboard problem, esp. since these are scattered single-bit errors.

3) Your BSODs are *definitely* caused by these memtest errors: you can stop looking at all the other causes. There is nothing wrong with Windows.

In the future, people should remember that, by far, the most common cause of a BSOD is defective hardware. Second most common is a bad driver. All other BSOD causes are relatively rare. This is why, when you start getting BSODs that look random (not always the same code or doesn't point to a specific driver file on the blue screen), the FIRST thing to do is a memory test. This is basic troubleshooting.

4. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    You can also make perfectly good RAM become bad just by yourself.... static discharge from you, no matter how minor *could* damage RAM. This normally doesn't happen with modern hardware, but I've heard of it happening in isolated cases. Since these are new, you may want to try to get these warrantied. Then buy an ESD wrist strap when installing the replacements and running memtest again to see.

You should also make sure your existing parts are as dust free as possible. Dust causes all sorts of strange hardware problems.

5. #26 Deleted member 185298, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2011
    (OP)
    Hmmmm, i just reset the BIOS to "Load Optimized Defaults" That should do the trick. I'll post again if i get another (or when) BSOD. lolz i will also try running memtest again.

6. I will try and open it up and clear out any dust. Static discharge you say? Does that mean i could have had electricity running through it when i moved about? interesting.

7. So nothing's wrong with Windows? If so, i'm sticking with 7 :p

8. Just ran memtest again....

Just ran memtest again after loading optimized defaults in the BIOS. All round fails, here are some screens:

DSC00243.jpg
    DSC00245.jpg

Looks bad to me. I will now try dusting out the inside. I have done this before, because i found that the fan was really dusty, with my friend, but we accidentally touched some parts and to this day the back USB ports don't work. Could this be related? Ever since I have to plug the keyboard and the mouse to the front.

9. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    #30 Enigma256, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
    Your errors won't look like this if it was a dust problem.

Look at the error pattern and how stunningly consistent it is. In every 32-bit word that has an error, it's always either bit 13 or bit 21 that's bad. Out of hundreds of errors. If it was caused by something random like dust (which generally does not cause this sort of thing; dust is more likely to cause overheating), then you would expect to see, well, more randomness.

Actually, I didn't look closely enough to notice this consistency the first time I looked. So now that I see this pattern, I'm leaning much more towards a memory controller fault than a memory module fault.

Ignore every other suggestion, and do this:

1) Try the RAM in another computer. If it checks out there, then you have a busted motherboard that needs replacing. If the RAM exhibits the same errors on another computer, then return the RAM for warranty.

2) Alternatively, if you have other RAM that is known to be good, you could test them in your computer. If they pass the test, then replace your bad RAM, and if they fail the test, then replace your bad motherboard.

3) If you don't have another computer (or a friend who will let you borrow his computer for an hour) and if you don't have other RAM to test, and you have more than one memory module, then remove all the memory modules except for one and test the memory modules one by one. If every module, when tested by itself, exhibits the same problem, then chances are, it's a motherboard problem (RAM errors are usually, but not always, isolated to one stick, not multiple sticks). If your motherboard is dual-channel, try a single RAM stick on each of the two channels--if it is a controller fault, it might be limited to just one channel (so if you see errors on one channel but not the other, then you know that the motherboard is bad).

10. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    your friend caused accidental static discharge which fried the USB ports or the controller
    it's possible that it may have damaged the memory controller also, but it is also likely that you may have done so this time when you installed the new RAM since you knew nothing about ESD and safe practice to prevent that

11. Hmmm, my friends all have newer computers which prob. use different kinds of RAM. I'm also leaning on it being a one channel problem. I'm going to try to find out which channel is faulty and if it's one of the RAM as well, which one. *Whips out Memtest* Prepare to be used like never before.... :p

12. I see. I will be more careful in the future while following Enigma's instructions. I will now research some safe practice help. Google FTW. lolz

13. #34 Deleted member 185298, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2011
    (OP)
    It seems my Newest RAM (Crucial) did not give any errors wih Memtest + v4.20 in the upper RAM slot. I will now try and test it in the other slot, to see if my motherboard requires replacing.

Here is PROOF lolz: DSC00221.jpg

14. Yesss!!!!11!!!!!

Thanks for the nice advice Enigma. I did a bit of research on RAM and as it turns out i was putting the modules in incorrectly. I was assisting the clips on the side when in fact you have to push it so the clips go in by themselves. To tell you the truth, i am feeling a right nitwit, years of using a computer with RAM plugged in incorrectly. I tested my newest RAM (Crucial) on both slots with no errors, using memtest + v4.20. I will now test my other RAM modules and see if they still work after being incorrectly plugged in for so long. Here is proof of my Crucial RAM working:

Slot 1: DSC00221.jpg

Slot 2: DSC00224.jpg

Next i will test my Hynix module that i got from PCWorld. I hope it works! BTW i added Thanks and +repped everyone who helped me. Thanks guys!

15. #36 Deleted member 185298, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2011
    (OP)
    Hmmmmm.....

My Hynix gave me 1 error in the upper slot whereas it gave no errors in the bottom slot. My crucial has checked out fine with Memtest in 2 slots. What could this mean? Is my Hynix faulty?

Upper slot with Hynix: DSC00225.jpg

Bottom slot with Hynix: DSC00226.jpg

Hynix and Crucial together give lots of errors: DSC00227.jpg

But the old Samsung 512mb module and Crucial did not give any errors with Memtest, DSC00228.jpg but it did with the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool built into Windows 7. Does that mean my Samsung is faulty too?

16. Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got another BSOD. PFN_LIST_CORRUPT STOP: 0X0000004E (0x00000099,0x00038CE0,0x00000002,0x00000000)

I'm gonna check my RAM again with multiple programs.

My RAM results are all random, so i believe its the motherboard.

I'm gonna open a new thread for someone to help me choose the right one.