Aero-Glass in Windows 8 RTM, by re-instating the Aero Source Codes

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by FaiKee, Sep 1, 2012.

1. phailyoor

phailyoor MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2012
    I would like to use Windows 8 RP. Unfortunately, it's timebombed, and even if that is removed, won't receive any security or stability updates. It's either 8 RTM or 7(of course, Vista and XP still have extended support for security fixes).

2. supisiche

supisiche MDL Junior Member

Aug 31, 2010
    In my computer some games load 2x faster with generic video drivers :D

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. antony_blu3

antony_blu3 MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    That's why I don't try yet, maybe after the final release

5. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    This isn't it, as there was a screenshot from original RTM b8888 without any need of Windows 7 Legacy Explorer Wrapper (without Start Menu)

6. Rand

Rand MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2007
    Nor is it even from the same person who published the original screenshots and promised Aero Glass on Win8, this is somebody else doing his own thing.

7. vjott

vjott MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. phailyoor

Aug 6, 2012
    It is glitchy, but it is also totally legit. I tested it on win8 RTM and got full window border transparency with proper blur.

Unfortunately, ribbonned apps do not display correctly, in addition to the previous warnings. Hopefully it will get sorted out soon.

9. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
  10. kizo2703

kizo2703 MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2010
    I'm not saying that you should use RP, but that the GUI could remain the same as in the RP, with Aero.

Somehow I doubt it. :smokecowboy:

I tested it in a VM on Windows Pro version, and Windows has crashed. No thank you, I'll pass.

11. ace2

ace2 Guest

#93 ace2, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
    The only limitations is the restart and shut down

@vjott
    This person's method is looking quite unstable and dangerous, best to wait for the other guy to finish his work. Just looking at the list of limitations is making me nervous. The creator calls it Beta 2 but it looks more like an Alpha 1. This is the original source by the way:

Aero Glass for win8RTM put together by ace2 from win8RP files & using @Tihiy Patchex (untouched files).
    I just played around with the file until i got it to work.
    My programming skills NONE. (e.g Just look at the cmd files).
    What is needed is a real computer programmer.
    TO FIX:
    uDWM.dll, From win8RP
    OR
    dwm.exe,dwmapi.dll,dwmcore.dll,dwmredir.dll win8RTM

Real limitations are Restart, & Shut down, (e.g Boot to Desktop).
    Pc will work fine in Desktop (Not IE10).

Boot works with:
    uDWM.dll from win8RTM. BUT NOT uDWM.dll, From win8RP.

Aero works with:
    dwm.exe,dwmapi.dll,dwmcore.dll,dwmredir.dll,uDWM.dll,win8RP.

12. kyolic

kyolic MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2012
    Well at least this is a proof that it is somehow possible. Now let's wait and some real programmers will iron the bugs and present it with an installer.

13. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #95 s1ave77, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    Appreciate your optimistic view. May be, after passing some time, one or another gets that annoyed from this "The UI Formerly Known As Metro" thingy, he´s forced enough to solve this challenge.
    If so, i pledge an promissory oath, to praise and bless him...the CREATOR.
    AMEN

14. vjott

vjott MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Well, we've not seen anything yet and the forum noted in the original post has turned into a litany of complaints and whining. I guess that the person's busy or is trying to make the patch more stable or something before releasing it or perhaps, on a more draconian note, he's considering selling it given the apparently high demand. If someone were to come up with a stable tool to restore Aero in Windows 8, the person would make a tidy sum of cash even if he were to sell it for $1.00. Just look at the abundance of commercial tools that offer simple functionality such as to "disable" the Start Screen and the Charms Bar.

15. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    I don't think he would charge for it because it could conflict with MS (long-term)employee regulations. Hopefully he did not receive MS pressure to abandon the project, and it's just "too busy" or some bugs and it would come out, we could just wait and see. :p

16. magdalene

magdalene MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2012
    Well, I would think that even at MS China ;)they use version control and release control - an individual developer cannot just throw in whatever he wants in the build. And the idea that you just throw in some lines of code and a few old dlls for this to start working seems very far fetched. And how is he going to get this past testing?
    Or is he actually going to nick the source code from M$ and do his own privately "sponsored "Win 8 with Aero" OS...
    None of this makes sense.

I tried some hack for getting Aero, and it absolutely KILLED the GUI in Windows 8.

It couldn't even run Windows Explorer. All I could run was Task Manager and the Command prompt. Everything else was black.
    Luckily sfc /scannow solved the problem, but if I had not thought of trying that I would have been stuffed.

17. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Then i have to warmly recommend you new versions of virtual box or vm ware...:cool:. Install, create a snapshot and try all foolish tips from the net while settling back and watching your system going to it´s knees. Simply restore snaphot and test next... sun (1).gif .
    regards

18. phailyoor

Aug 6, 2012
    Hyper-V? This IS Windows 8...